Experiments in Korokke

I love korokke. I’m a big potato fan so it’s only natural that I love it. What I love about the Japanese incarnation of the Potato Croquette is its many variants. I’ve tried cream, scallops, plain, ham and cheese, and curry among others. When I told Yue-san that I buy these in bulk whenever I’m at Hatchin, she was taken aback. She insisted that korokke was easy to make. Taking her word for it, I scrounged up various versions online and consulted my cookbook collection.

Despite the seemingly easy procedure, it was only this weekend that I decided to finally try. While my all time favorite korokke is cream, I can’t even imagine how to begin making it, so I opted for a basic beef korokke instead. How’d it turn out? Total win!

Beef KorokkeKorokke served with Kewpie Mayonnaise

Korokke How-toPeel, wash, and cut a couple of potatoes into large chunks.

Korokke How-toBoil the potatoes until done.

Korokke How-toWhile cooking the potatoes, in a separate pan, saute some chopped onions.

Korokke How-toAdd some ground beef, then season as you like. I added salt, lots of pepper, and a bit of ground cumin. Saute until done, then set aside.

Korokke How-toMash the potatoes with a potato masher or a fork. The finer the mash, the smoother the korokke so mash the potatoes depending on your preferred korokke texture.

Korokke How-toMix the cooked beef and the potatoes, making sure to not include excess oils.

Korokke How-toForm potato-beef mixture into patties, cylinders, or balls. Once again, it depends on your personal preference.

Korokke How-toNow here’s the messy part. Dredge each potato patty in flour, a beaten egg, and finally, panko / Japanese breadcrumbs. Do this to each patty. To prevent getting doughy fingers, use both hands in the process. Keep one hand for handling the dry ingredients and the other for dipping in egg. It will still result in gummy fingers, but it takes longer for the ingredients to accumulate, unlike when you use just one hand.

Korokke How-toFreeze the korokke for future use, or fry them until golden brown. Serve with tonkatsu sauce or kewpie mayonnaise.

I dub this experiment a total success. It’s relatively simple, although all the dredging, dipping, and rolling can be tedious. I recommend doing large batches at once then just freezing the rest. You can substitute the beef with other meat or even fish. Veggies work too.

After today, I can now say I know how to make korokke. My next goal? Cream Korokke! πŸ˜€

This entry was posted in how-tos. Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Experiments in Korokke

1. amvn says:

Wow this looks great! And it’s your first try at making them? That is amazing! Too bad I’m a low-carber, but I’m sure I’ll be able to find a potato substitute that’ll match it (although it won’t be the same)

2. Clair says:

Oooh! Oooh! Must try it. But I’d probably use tuna because my sister doesn’t really like beef much.

3. L~ says:

Hrmmm! I wonder if oven baking them would work! And with ground chicken!

4. YUE says:

See? it was easy ne??? (^w^)v Looks oishii! good job!!
    Cream korokke is a little hard…but all you need to know is how to make cream sauce.
    You can come anytime you want to our place for the recipies!

hmm…its really time for our cooking school ne??
    I’ll ask mom…maybe we could have it next week…hmmm(thinks)

5. dementedchris says:

Wow! Looks very yummy!

I’m excited for our next cook-off! Virna and Rae tell me that you suggested Mediterranean food? πŸ˜€ Tara!

6. mahek says:

WOW!!!!
    What a great presentation, it needs such a lot of patience to do the whole thing and you have done it so well.
    i love your site and am a regular visitor to it , i have said it before you are a great inspiration to me when i make my sons tiffin boxes.
    pls reply at my email if you read this comment.
    mahek

@amvn:
    Thanks! While this is my first attempt to make korokke, I think all those years making tonkatsu came in handy since it was the same basic flour + egg + panko breading. As to a low carb substitute, maybe cauliflower? I remember you making lots of wonderful things with it: onigiri, fried “rice”. Why not croquettes? πŸ˜€ And are carrots low carb? Cause if they are, I think boiled carrots can have a similar texture to boiled potatoes, only the flavor might be more intense. Oh, and how about chick peas? You can make falafel instead πŸ˜€

@Clair & L~:
    I imagine both tuna and chicken would be really good. But I think tuna and chicken cream would be even better. Darn, must really work on cream korokke. And baking might be a healthier substitute to frying. I imagine it’s only to brown the breading anyway, since the whole thing, minus the egg, is fully cooked beforehand.

@YUE:
    You’re so right! Thank you, thank you, thank you for giving me the encouragement to experiment πŸ˜€

@dementedchris:
    GAME! You girls are on!

@Mahek:
    Thanks for the kind words. Emailed you about something else, btw. πŸ˜€

8. jokergirl says:

I’m not sure if ovenbaking would work with the Japanese breadcrumbs. I know it works with regular ones but the shape and “fuzzy”ness of panko is rather dependent on the oil I think…

πŸ˜‰

9. Clair says:

I’d experiment with either tuna or chicken first before trying the one with cream hehe πŸ˜€

10. Pingback: bento blogging

11. Pingback: Blah! » Tips on sushi, onigiri, tamagoyaki :D

12. cutelildrow says:

Thanks to your tonkatsu recipe I was able to make ahead several pork tonkatsu. I also used the leftover panku / egg / flour to bread some beef meatballs. I must try this sometime, but it’s hard to come up with ways to cook only small amounts that won’t take up lots of space on the fridge.

I like the suggestion of cauliflower korokke as I adore cauliflower. I would like to try it with grated cheese (possibly mozzarella and another cheese) and cream because I miss chou au gratin.

Incidentally, reading the Little House on the Prairie series, you will see them mention creamed carrots. They added milk to the mashed carrots, and I think it was described as ‘fluffy’.

My new place of work (Asian Media Development Group) doesn’t have a microwave sadly, so I haven’t yet figured out where to reheat my food (and the only place to eat is a Ministop! Ugh!)

We’re in the same boat! We don’t have a microwave anymore either that’s why I can’t reheat my food, narrowing down my bento options. I used to be able to bring stews to work, then just nuke them. :( I’m seriously considering buying a thermal set just for Korean Beef Stew but I’m not sure if the one I’m eyeing (a cute tiny set from Thermos) would be leak-proof enough. And whether it can keep food really hot, so it’s still a toss-up between a Mr. Bento-style Lunch Jar and the cute Thermos set.

And I didn’t know you’re Manila-based! I smell Bento Meet-up! πŸ˜€

13. lalalady7 says:

oh i love to make these!!! i have never made that many at once though! they look delicious!!!!! =D

14. Pingback: Bistek Tagalog Bento—TAKE 3! | Kitchen Cow

15. Pikko says:

Your korokke look soo yummy, but what I found the most interesting was your simple solution to avoiding yucky fingers!! I’ve never thought of using two hands (I don’t know why!!) and from now on I will definitely do that whenever I make tonkatsu. It drives me absolutely bananas to have to wash my fingers with each slice.

It’s probably because we think we make less of a mess when using only one hand. But like you, I have to wash my fingers after every slice since I hate having floury fingers. XD I forgot where I read / heard of that tip, otherwise, I’d attribute, but hey I know that somehow, somewhere, there’s probably a person who’s happy about having made a difference to a pair of gummy fingered tonkatsu makers πŸ˜›

16. Pingback: Sanshoku Bento: Appetizing 3 ways | Kitchen Cow

17. Pingback: Ham Sandwich & Tattooed Apples Bento | bento, restos & recipes at http://www.kitchencow.com

18. Pingback: (Cooking) Mama’s Back! | bento, restos & recipes at http://www.kitchencow.com

19. Sara says:

Oh my, my. This looks…DE-LI-CI-OUS!

• Sara says:

*cough* Erm, what veggies would you prefer to mix in the potato?

I have to confess, I’ve never tried mixing veggies in, and have never thought about it. But I have eaten a cream korokke with a smattering of corn, I bet it would taste better if it had more corn. Maybe corn, carrots and peas? Plus, they freeze well so it won’t be a problem if you made some for freezing. If you do try some with veggies, please share your versions πŸ˜€ I’m sure the vegetarians reading this would enjoy hearing your ideas.

• Sara says:

Corn sounds nice…and carrots too! Thanks!
        If I do try it, I’ll be sure to share. πŸ˜€ The reason why I asked is because we have a vegetarian living in our house. :) Thank you!

You’re welcome Sara! And you can always opt to go plain potato or potato and cream πŸ˜€

20. Michelle says:

Hi just found your site and I was curious to at what stage do you freeze the excess? After putting the panko crumbs? Or what? In fact, how do you go about freezing them? (:

Yes, after putting the panko. I usually lay them on a single layer on a freezer safe container. If I have more than 1 layer to freeze, I just lay a sheet of wax paper between layers. Then when I need to cook, I just stick them in hot oil over low to medium heat then fry while frozen.

I’ve heard of some people freezing after they fry but I prefer my korokke freshly “cooked” and crispy.

21. Luney says:

May I just say that you have inspired me? I first found your site through CookingCute.com, and you have motivated me to finally get my rear in gear and cook more. I pack bento for my Dad now whenever I can between school, school, and more school.

I’ve always been curious about Korokke. I shall try it, now. I’m sure my family will love this particular kitchen experiment. And I’ll make it in freezer-batches so, maybe, some days I can eat korokke for breakfast!

p.s: You should also try frying up red pepper slices after breading it with panko like you would tonkatsu. I usually don’t like peppers, but after frying it you dust it with a dash of salt, some pepper, and a squeeze of lime and it is divine. I’m sure it’d be yummy with a squeeze of calamansi instead of lime, too.

Thank you very much!~

Glad you made it here, Luney! And it’s great you can find time to cook despite the demands of school.

Thanks for the red pepper tip. I confess, I’m not a big fan but just recently, I accidentally ate a large sliver of roasted pepper in some paella negra and it was lovely! Your recipe suggestion may just be what I need to learn to love red peppers. <3

22. VERO says:

I like the pics ….I had done this before a couple a months back from watching a Japanese tv show online and instead of PANKO i used regular bread crumbs…..my dad LOVED THEM! ^______^ i was happy with is smile on his face and my mom liked them too! Im REALLY curious on the CREAM KOROKKE!…..I had so far BEEF,CHEESE and now my new creation HAM KOROKKE! I enjoyed seeing your pics very much

23. Ruth says:

where to buy/how to make tonkatsu sauce or kewpie mayonnaise?

@VERO
    I love Cream Korokke too! Unfortunately, it’s messy to make so it’s difficult to make a tutorial but I’ve been meaning to for ages. It’s too nyummy to not be shared.

@Ruth
    Your neighborhood’s Japanese Grocery or Asian foodstore would be a good bet. Sometimes, even the International section of large supermarkets have them too. If all else fails, Amazon has it too πŸ˜€ Good luck hunting!

25. Helen says:

Thanks for the recipe! I love pumpkin korokke too. Highly reccommend it.

Ooooh. Interesting. Any special steps to do it, or just the same with potato? We don’t get much pumpkins here, but now that you brought it up, I think I can try it with Kabocha squash. Now you have me excited, thanks for the suggestion, Helen!

26. lorn says:

I love korokke too πŸ˜€ I add all purpose cream and cheese when I make it. Can korokke be stored in the freezer (covered with panko and all)? thanks :)

27. Mackenzie Ward says:

Low Carb diet is really the best diet if you want to reduce weight and also to maintain a healthy body.~.,