Teriyaki Fish Bento

I was so tired Sunday night that I almost forgot to defrost something for bento. Getting up from bed, I threw one of my mini-packages of frozen chicken breast in a dish of water, then stuck it in the fridge, thinking I’d do a quick teriyaki in the morning.

Hours later, as I was preparing the marinade, I cut the pack open and found—a fillet of fish. How stupid is that, I ask you? No wonder I couldn’t find the CB initials on the bag. It’s because it wasn’t Chicken Breast. It crossed my mind to just add salt and pepper and sear it quickly, but where’s the sense of adventure in that? Instead, I marinated the fish in the teriyaki sauce I made for what I assumed was chicken, then cooked it the way I would for quick chicken teriyaki. My verdict? SUCCESS! New bento recipe added to my repertoire.

Bento 130 Teriyaki Fish Bento

Bento #130 • 4 June 2007

Contents:
• Plain rice. This rice was frozen then reheated in the microwave a few days later.

• Teriyaki fish. I don’t even remember what fish it was. It’s something fleshy and light, similar to labahita (surgeonfish) and mahi-mahi, but I’m not quite sure what it is exactly.

• Kani (Imitation Crabsticks). I’m so obsessive about empty spaces in my bento, can’t help but stick a couple of grapes along with the fish.

• Buttered Asparagus Stir-fry.

• Singkamas (Jicamas) with Kiamoy Powder.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

TERIYAKI FISH v. 4 June 2007
Serves 1

1 Fish Fillet. Choose a light, fleshy fish like Grouper, Surgeonfish or Mahimahi.
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp mirin
1 Tbsp cooking oil

1. Mix together sugar, soy sauce and mirin. Pour over fish fillet and let it marinade for 15 minutes or so.
2. Heat oil in a heavy pan. Fry lightly on both sides, until done.
3. Pour leftover marinade over fish and let it glaze over until thickened.

BUTTERED ASPARAGUS STIR-FRY v. 4 June 2007
Serves 1
4-6 stalks asparagus, cut into 1-inch long pieces.
1 Tbsp butter
freshly cracked black pepper

1. Melt butter in pan.
2. Stir-fry the asparagus until cooked through, without overcooking.
3. Dust liberally with black pepper, stir-fry for a few more seconds then remove from heat.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Take a Tip:

To freeze rice, wrap it in a Ziploc bag or place in a freezer-safe container while still fresh. When reheating, do not defrost. Instead, place the frozen rice in a microwave safe container and nuke on high until warmed throughout. Microwaving on high preserves the rice’s natural moisture instead of drying it out when defrosting first. For efficiency, I usually apportion leftover rice into single servings before freezing since it’s quite impossible to break the rice lumps apart when frozen.

This entry was posted in bento, recipes, take a tip. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Teriyaki Fish Bento

1. Drew says:

I usually make Bangus Belly Teriyaki and it’s superb! I recommend that you try it too once in a while.

2. dementedchris says:

Thanks on the rice tip. Didn’t know that. :)

3. kathy says:

Hi there. Great site! Love the pics and the recipes. Would surely love to get tips here for my daughter’s obento next time. Fortunately for me, I only have to prepare obento for her once a month. I’m the hopeless cook, you know.

Thanks for dropping by my site. :)

4. Leki says:

haha, i’m a lazy ass when it comes to reusing rice. either i do fried rice the next morning or heat it with a generous sprinkling of water/rice wine in the same container i cooked it in (cos i stuck it in the fridge that way, that’s why). in any case, the latter usually ends up as fluffy, sometimes even yummier than it was the day before. 😀

@Drew
    I feel like it’s a crime to cook bangus belly as teriyaki. There’s no acceptable way to cook it than to (1)fry or (2) cook as sinigang. ^_^;; Think of all that lovely belly fat against the crisp salty fried flesh or eaten swimming in a really sour broth. Darn, I hate you ARB! Now I want to eat sinigang. Demn you.

@dementedchris & Leki
    Try freezing, promise it works. It’s not as good as freshly cooked, but it’s good enough. Although if it’s for fried rice, keeping it in the fridge is better for a drier grain. Mmm…fried rice and fried bangus…aaargh. I should know better than to reply to comments before dinner T_T

@Kathy
    Thanks for visiting. I have to admit, I really enjoyed reading your La Cucaracha tribute. Probably because I’m afraid of them, hehehe.

Can I hire you to prepare my baon when I go to work? Hehehe. Your presentation is always so interesting and so lovely! The food combinations are always so deliciously engaging too. Singkamas with kiamoy powder, buttered asparagus… awesome!

Hehe, thankies. 😀 With the amount of similar lines from my friends, I think I know what to get into should I decide to stop working.

Bento takes a bit more effort than the usual lunch, but it gives me something to look forward to come lunchtime 😀

7. Wendy says:

hi.. nice site! lol.. um… i would surely follow these instructions so that i could learn how to make some bento. lol.. well, i would like to ask you more questions about it… and… surely is gonna wait for your answer! ^^