Bento 132: Shrimp & Bok Choy Bento

Some days, you just have to face your fears. Mine comes in the form of shrimp and crabs. When I was growing up, I loved both. When served with either, I’d wash my hands, then get ready to eat with my bare hands. The past few years however, I developed an undesirable reaction to crabs and shrimp. Sure, I can still eat both, but I’d be wracked with pain afterwards. From then on, I decided to limit my crab and shrimp intake to when I’m at home, so I can relax in case I become indisposed afterwards.

People around me theorized that it was all in my mind. Why I’d make up an aversion to shellfish, I cannot comprehend. Still, it happens. Early this year though, I decided to take this “allergy” by the horns and dare to eat shrimp and crabs in small quantities. While I’d get a queasy feeling, it usually passes so nothing to worry about.

Yesterday though, I went all out and packed a shrimp bento, allergic reaction be damned. Well, made it through the day happily stuffed with shrimp.

Bento 132 Shrimp & Bok Choy Bento

Bento #132 • 13 June 2007

Contents:
• Plum tomato and crumbled feta, packed with a little squeeze bottle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar

• Kani fried rice. I sautéed two sticks of shredded kani (imitation crabstick) and a couple of tablespoons of frozen mixed veggies in some butter. Then, I added some cold long grain rice, sautéed some more, added a tablespoon of soy sauce then covered until heated through.

Tip Jar:
When making fried rice, it’s best to use day old refrigerated rice. Old rice separates into grains easier and sautés better. I prefer making fried rice with long grains since it’s less starchy and sticky.

• Shrimp skewers. To make them, I pan-grilled 100 grams of shrimp, then doused it liberally with yakitori sauce. I made my yakitori sauce in advance, following this recipe, then stored it in the refrigerator. Afterwards, I skewered the shrimp on plastic animal design picks for easy eating.

• Bok Choy in oyster sauce. I cooked a couple of Bok Choy leaves in a couple of tablespoons of water then added an oyster sauce mix when it wilted. For the sauce, I roughly followed Hazel’s Boy Choy recipe. I made the mistake of cooking too little though, forgetting to take the wilting process in consideration.

This entry was posted in bento. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Bento 132: Shrimp & Bok Choy Bento

1. rachel says:

I love bok choy in oyster sauce. yummy!

2. hazel says:

hmm.. that looks like a good combo :)

3. karen says:

hi kaoko,

where do you get those squeeze containers for your salad dressing? i’m still forever finding those soy sauce fishies. :(

@hazel
    Thanks for the idea / recipe, I enjoyed it 😀

@karen
    I bought it from Hatchin, a fabulous (I love it! XD) Japanese grocery near Kamagong in Makati. It came in a mixed pack of rectangular containers and soy sauce fishies. It was out of stock the last time I went there, but in case they do restock, I’ll drop you a line. But I recommend going there yourself too because it’s a fantastic place to shop.

• karen says:

i loveeee that grocery too! i regularly buy my korokkes and sashimi from them. luckily it’s just a few minutes from my house. i wish they have them soon. :)

You live near Hatchin? Waaaai, inggit ako! I love going there but since they close at 7pm, I have to plan well since it’s rare that I can leave the office at the stroke of 6. It used to be easier when our office was just at the corner of Ayala and Buendia–I could walk there during lunch, but now, it’s a long walk coming from Greenbelt 1 :(

5. abby says:

bloghopped from toni. never met a foodie blog i didn’t like 😀 i’m adding you to my blogroll!

Can I hire you to prepare my baon to office? Hehehe. This is so yummy. And I LUV bokchoy!

It was yummy, but I wasn’t able to enjoy it as much because I had Reyes Barbecue on the side too, so imagine my lunch plate doubled! All because our boss decided to treat us to lunch. ^_^;;

I really should start listening to my barkada and think of this in a business light. 😛