Calcifer (Howl’s Moving Castle) Bento

For this week, Bento Challenge posed a very broad topic, Stars. I love broad topics since it turns the conceptualization process a challenge in itself. Rising to the plate is my entry for the Stars challenge, a Calcifer bento.

Calcifer is a fire demon from one of my favorite books, Diana Wynne Jones’ Howl’s Moving Castle. As the book was eventually turned into Hayao Miyazaki’s Hauru no Ugoku Shiro (Howl’s Moving Castle), I opted to model Calcifer from the anime rather than the book because it’s difficult to find blues and purples in food. Wait! How does that fit in with the theme? Well, I return the question to you guys. Onigiri for those who can make the theme challenge connection! 😀

Calcifer Bento

Bento #135 • 22 June 2007

Guess the theme connection!
Note: For those who’ve neither read the book nor watched the anime, it can get spoilery. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Contents:
• Giant smoked salmon & cream cheese onigiri. To make Calcifer, I decided to go with an inside-out smoked salmon & cream cheese onigiri. Aside from the usual filling in the middle, I also wrapped the outside of the onigiri—well, the top at least—with smoked salmon for a pinky-orange color. I then topped it with a slice of cheese that’s shaped roughly like the onigiri. Cream cheese and nori eyes, plus a red bell pepper mouth complete our darling fire demon.

• Cream Korokke “Logs”. In the story, Calcifer loves to munch on logs. To make my Calcifer happy, I gave him a couple of Cream Korokke since they’re pretty much cylindrical. Much like logs, only tastier.

• Shredded iceberg lettuce.

• Feta-stuffed cherry tomatoes.

• Red & Green Bell Pepper Stars. Bits of cookie cuttered bell peppers to add to the Stars theme.

So, has anyone gotten the connection?

View other Bentochallenge star entries here.

An older star related bento here as well: Starry Starry Night Bento

Admin Note:
To make things easier for recipe searchers, I made a Recipe Index Page. No need to go through the recipes category for an old recipe. It’s all here! I made it manually though, so if I made any mistakes alphabetizing, do be lenient. ^_^;;

This entry was posted in admin, bento, blog carnivals. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Calcifer (Howl’s Moving Castle) Bento

1. aoitenshi says:

I don’t know the character, but that is so cute!!! Mmm salmon. Yesterday I had salmon from lunch to dinner lol.

2. dementedchris says:

I think it’ll be unfair for me to guess the connection lol… 😀

3. Kimberly says:

Is it because Calcifer is a type of star. I always saw him as a fallen star, captured and befriended by Howl.

The first shape my son recognized was the star.

4. Sylphie says:

Haha, Kimberly already explained it. Calcifer is a fallen/shooting star that makes a deal with the wizard Howl in Howl’s Moving Castle. In the book though, he was supposed to be thin and all blue/green/purple/a ton of other colors. XD

Such a cute bento though!

@Kimberly and Sylphie
    Yay! Onigiri for you both! While I love the book more than the anime, I can’t imagine making a blue / green / purple / ton of other colors onigiri without using food color ^_^;; Especially since he looked wiry and positively demonic, if I recall his description correctly.

@Chris
    Well, you can have an onigiri too because I know you know. *wink* That and cause I luv you.

@aoitenshi
    It’s a lovely lovely book, Howl’s Moving Castle. It’s among my Top Ten Favorite Books of All Time 😀 If you’re planning to see the movie as well though, do see the movie before the book because even if it’s Miyazaki, the book blows the anime out of the water.

• Kimberly says:

How can I claim my prize? *wink* I’m gonna use this gif!

I have not yet read the book, but that is because I didn’t know there was one!! I only have seen the movie… I love Sophie and Calcifer!

I absolutely love the book. I can’t stop pimping it everywhere ^_^;; It’s less dramatic than the anime, but it’s still a lovely story. Howl is much much more human there. He’s so imperfect you can’t help but love him. Calcifer isn’t a cutie there, but how can you not love Calcifer? Actually, I love everyone in that book, except maybe the Witch of the Waste. There’s nothing to love with that woman. *sniffs*

6. Sylphie says:

Aw, so cute! Thanks for the onigiri! Yeah, I like the book better, since it develops the characters a bit more. Calcifer was cool too. Erm, I kept getting everyone confused though, and messing up all the characters. @_@

I agree with you on that point. Besides, the book Howl was perfectly imperfect, I love him so. I can understand what you mean about confusing characters though, let me guess, Prince Justin and Wizard Sulaiman? Personally, I’ve read the book like, more than 10 times and I still get confused about them at times.

Which reminds me, must remind friend to return it, it’s due for another reread 😀

7. Jenn says:

Oh I love this!!! I only just saw it so everyone’s already guessed the connection. I love love love the book!!! Not a huge fan of the movie but the little movie style calcifer is awfully cute!!!

The book is the bestest ever. Hands down, one of my favorite books of all time. While I’m not too hot about the movie, I do like the imagery they used there. Howl is hawt as ever, hehe.

• Jenn says:

Oh definately! I re-read the book recently and let anime!Howl be the one I pictured 😀

8. Pingback: Kodama Bento | bento, restos & recipes at http://www.kitchencow.com

9. adiksakape says:

i love hayao miyazaki’s movies.
    i love calcifer because it’s billy crystal’s voice in US version.

10. peanutbeanma says:

this is lovely! my 6 and 3 yr old screamed why would you eat calcifer mama? hahahaha
    your site is such an inspiration to baon-weary moms.

@adiksakape
    I haven’t seen the US dubbed Howl’s. Only saw the English subtitled, Japanese language one. But I can just imagine how funny Calcifer was there, Billy Crystal is very talented.

@peanutbeanma
    Waaaaaah! The last thing I want to do is scare your kiddies! *sobs, then comforts herself with food—this time the soot sprites :P*

12. Red says:

OOOHHHH Im gonna try this!! :) I followed you here from the link you potsed on my blog, and I am so glad I did. Thanks for the invite. I am a newbie to Bento lunches, and I know I am going to get a lot of great ideas from your site.