Chicken, Mushrooms & Sour Cream Bento

I always keep my eyes peeled for new recipes to try, even when I’m just casually bloghopping. Among the recipes that I knew I had to taste was the Sassy Chicken and Mushrooms in Sour Cream from In Our Kitchen who in turn, modified it from Pinoy Cook. Chicken, mushrooms and sour cream? What’s not to like?

Seeing how simple the recipe was, I knew it had bento potential. For one, chicken breast fillets are among my bento freezer staples. Plus, I knew I had a can of mushrooms stashed away and a tub of sour cream in the fridge. Time to experiment!

Chicken, Mushrooms & Sour Cream Bento

Bento #136 • 26 June 2007

Contents:
• Sassy Chicken and Mushrooms in Sour Cream. Experiment was a relative success. Not a total one because I’m stupid and burned the garlic. Because I was trying to port the recipe to bento proportions, I opted to use chopped spring onions instead of using a quarter of an onion. Forgetting it burns quicker, I took my eyes off the pot to reheat a block of frozen rice, only to return to burnt garlic and onions.

Parts of the dish ended up with a burnt taste. The parts that escaped that burnt taste however, was delicious. It was creamy without being overly rich and cloying. The sour part of the sour cream was delicate and not overpowering at all. The mushrooms and the chicken complemented each other. The original recipe calls for straw mushrooms but since I only had button on hand, that’s what I used instead.

JMom‘s Sassy Chicken & Mushrooms
Original recipe at In Our Kitchen

Adapted to single-serve for bento v. 26 June 2007

1 chicken breast fillet, cut into bite-sized chunks
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2-3 Tbsp button mushrooms, keep whole if small, quarter if large
1 Tbsp sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

1. Melt butter in pan. Add chicken and stir-fry until lightly browned. Remove chicken piece.
2. Sauté garlic and onions. Add mushrooms and chicken.
3. Add sour cream and sauté until well-blended.

• Rice with steamed asparagus accents

• Peeled lychees and cherry tomatoes.

This entry was posted in bento, recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Chicken, Mushrooms & Sour Cream Bento

1. Drew says:

At first glance, I thought those were hard-boiled eggs. /heh

• dementedchris says:

Thought so, too.

Cow, I think I’ll try this one. It sounds deliciously manageable–and you know my cooking ability! Hahaha!

@Drew
        The shrooms or the lychees? XD

@Chris
        It is! 15 minutes tops, for the bento version at least. I do suggest you try JMom’s version for the home though since I assume you’ll want to cook for other people too 😀 My next experiment would be to try this with pasta, possible no?

2. Drew says:

I mean the Lychees, because of those tomatoes… I thought they were regular sized. You made an Optical Illusion Bento! XD

3. Sylphie says:

Wow, I thought they were eggs at first too…xD

Chickens + Mushrooms + Sour Cream = ?!!!
    I’ll have to try that recipe sometimes…

@Drew
    What makes it even more of an optical illusion is the placemat I used! I cannot look at this entry without my eyes going weird on me. The placement of the placemat in the shot draws my eyes to the upper right corner, in a really weird fashion. 😛

@Sylphie
    Well, at least Drew probably feels better now, knowing he’s not alone 😛 It was a nice recipe, I plan to try it again in a larger batch sometime soon. Let me know how it turns out 😀 (And remember not to burn the onions :P)

5. JMom says:

hi kaoko, I’m glad you liked the recipe. We love it in our house too. Your bento looks marvelous as usual.

6. Pingback: Bento Adventures in Beef Stroganoff | bento, restos & recipes at http://www.kitchencow.com

7. mahek says:

hi
    koako,
    Its always nice to see that you make interesting tiffins which are a great inspiration to me , but many times the ingredients are not available in india, so will you mind telling me if i can substitute something else. like what can i use instead of sour cream which is not available in india.
    i love all stirfries and can eat it practically everyday of the week but as our food culture is different i cannot . Tell me some nice veg stir fries on my email