Lasang Pinoy 20: Lumpiang Shanghai Binalot!

See what else is cooking! View the Lasang Pinoy 20 Round-up at Unofficial Cook.

lp20-binalot-1.jpgThere’s a line that goes, there’s no Pancit Canton in Canton, nor Lumpiang Shanghai in Shanghai. Regardless of the misnomer, the lack of authentic Shanghai origins should never stop anyone from enjoying a good Lumpiang Shanghai.

Lumpiang Shanghai, more commonly known as Spring Rolls, are deep-fried “dumpling logs.” Made of ground pork, shrimp, and veggies, the resulting mixture is put on Lumpia wrapper. It’s then rolled and fried until crisp and golden brown. Commonly served with sweet and sour sauce for dipping, Lumpiang Shanghai is popular as finger food, or with rice. A mix of savory flavors and crisp textures, it’s one dish that’s always welcome, whether it be a fancy party, a fiesta, or an everyday meal. This is one Binalot (wrapped) dish that’s sure to please.

Lumpiang Shanghai

Recipes for Lumpiang Shanghai vary, depending from household to household. The one I’m sharing here is our family’s version. Sometimes, I tweak this recipe as well by adding chopped shiitake mushrooms, but for this particular entry, I’m doing the purist version.

Lumpiang Shanghai ingredients

Lumpiang Shanghai v. 1 August 2007

• 250 g ground pork
  • 100 g shrimp, peeled and chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/3 c shredded carrots
  • 1/3 c shredded jicamas
  • 1 egg
  • 2 Tbsp soy sauce
  • Lumpia / Spring Roll wrapper

1. Mix together pork, shrimp, onion, carrots, jicamas, egg and soy sauce.
  2. On one lumpia wrapper, drop a small amount of the mix. Using a spoon, form the filling into one long cylinder.
  3. Roll the wrapper tightly, completely encasing the meat.
  4. Fry over medium heat until golden brown.

Lumpiang Shanghai freezes well! After wrapping, lay the cylinders inside a freezer safe container, placing a sheet of wax paper or cling wrap in between layers. When cooking, fry slowly under low to medium heat to ensure that the insides are cooked. No need to defrost.

Like most dishes, there’s no single way to cook it. Check out this version of Lumpiang Shanghai by Iska, also prepared for Lasang Pinoy 20. Aside from the wrapping tips, it also has a recipe for the Sweet & Sour dipping sauce that’s traditionally served with Lumpiang Shanghai. (I didn’t include one since I cheat by using bottled UFC Sweet Chili Sauce, heeheehee.)
This entry was posted in blog carnivals, recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Lasang Pinoy 20: Lumpiang Shanghai Binalot!

1. lalalady7 says:

oh I LOOOOVE Lumpiang! I had no idea it was this ez! I cant wait to make it DEF this weekend when I make a new batch of gyoza since the ingredients are pretty simmilar except no jicamas, cant find that here =(

2. surrealistic says:

*whistles*

Whoa.. this is different to what I’m used to ^__^
    It looks like the Vietnamese spring rolls, Cha Gio. However, these ones are longer, and we generally have ours with nuoc mam (dipping sauce)

I have to try this recipe :)Since it sounds similar to wontons minus the frying part ^^

3. Leki says:

i lab lumpiang shanghai!

*toink toink* punta ka kina ate v sa saberday dibahhh? the cds!! tsaka ilan utang ko sayong dvds? 😀 (ip ebarr…do you have kamikaze girls? hehe. didn’t catch it last eiga sai)

4. Tiffany says:

try to add kinchay

5. iska says:

Your lumpiang shanghai looks good! Yey! Another lumpia LP entry!

6. Pingback: Lasang Pinoy 20: Lumpiang Prito Binalot! | bento, restos & recipes at http://www.kitchencow.com

@lalalady7
    Skip the jicamas if you can’t find them. Just add a little more carrot? I know some people substitute water chestnuts but I haven’t tried it myself. It does sound feasible though since they have similar textures. It’s definitely easy, but the wrapping can get tedious.

@surrealistic
    Is the Cha Gio the fresh Vietnamese spring rolls with glass noodles? If so, I love that! Lumpiang Shanghai’s more similar to wontons and gyoza though. The Vietnamese spring rolls are more similar to our Lumpiang Sariwa (Fresh Lumpia) which is chock full of healthy vegetables and is not fried either. Here’s a post about it however, it’s not a good example since I bento-ed it without the wrapper since we ran out. ^_^;;

@Leki
    Yes, I’m going 😀 And yes, you better get those anime CDs from me because it’s gathering dust and I want it out of my house 😛

@Tiffany
    Hmmm, I’ve never tried adding kinchay to it because I was never a fan of kinchay. It’s only recently (last year maybe?) that I learned to eat kinchay in Lumpiang Sariwa. Worth a shot though, will try it out next time. Thanks 😀

@Iska
    Hahaha, you had me hitting my head on the desk when I saw you do Lumpiang Shanghai for LP20 too. But I figured, it won’t be that bad since there’s a slight diff in the ingredients. Besides, I had already bought most of the ingredients. I hope you don’t mind if I edit this to link to your recipe? Especially since yours has a recipe for the Sweet and Sour Sauce.

8. iska says:

It’s perfectly all right with me, Kaoko! Well… you did prepare the whole thing for the event. Unlike me, still out of town at this very moment but with my HD full of food pics kaya namili na lang sa mga naluto ko na weeks/months ago hehehehe. I’m the one who cheated!

9. Pingback: ISKAndals.com » Lasang Pinoy 20: Lumpiang Shanghai

10. Burnt Lumpia says:

My grandmother always seems to have a stash of frozen lumpiang shanghai in her freezer. It’s one of the things I look forward to whenever I visit her. Thanks for your recipe. btw, found you through Lasang Pinoy.

11. surrealistic says:

Ohh~~ *goes off* :DDD

ohh~ kinda looks like pita wrapped sandwiches *__*

Ah.. nope. ^^

Its kinda amusing, that Spring Rolls are used for both fried and the fresh rolls. As for us, Cha Gio is used for the spring rolls (fried) while the “fresh one” is Rice Paper Rolls. Which is with fresh lettuce, meat, bean shoots and its wrapped in a thin rice paper? And you dip it with Hoisten sauce? (the sauce is thick and dark..but really tasty *__*)

@iska
    That’s not cheating, you still did all the work. Thanks again, too.

@Burnt Lumpia
    I’ve been to your blog before! It’s the one with the nice pictures right? Just forgot to drop by again because I wasn’t able to RSS it. Gawan ko nga ng paraan later, I enjoy reading your entries.

@surrealistic
    Really? I had no idea two different kinds of wrapping paper is used for the fried and fresh rolls. We just use the same one, it’s a flour based wrapper I think. We use a different sauce for dipping but I’m familiar with that sauce you described since I always mix it with sriracha when I eat a bowl of Pho.

• surrealistic says:

yes :DDD thats it ^^

Its the same sauce you use with pho ^^

Yeah, for the fried ones, its like this waxy sort of paper. Which you can also use for wontons as I done |D;;

But for the rice paper rolls, the wrapper is kinda stiff and you dip it in water to soften it. ^^ Then you put meat, vegetables and wrap ^^

Aaaah, so that’s the rice paper you have to soften. I was googling for links about it a few days ago when the instructions that you have to dip it in water confused me. It really is rice paper! I mean, I remember you cook rice noodles that way too. Thanks for the heads-up!

13. Pingback: The Round-Up, Lasang Pinoy 20: Binalot, All Wrapped Up! » The Unofficial Cook

14. Pingback: Lumpiang Shanghai Bento–Over the moon! | bento, restos & recipes at http://www.kitchencow.com

15. Now THAT’S the recipe that I remember from my teen years when my filipina friends would invite me for supper. My attempts have be semi-successful as of late, but they were missing that certain something that made the lumpia such a savory contrast to the sweet-and-sour dipping sauce. I vow to try again … Thanks for filling in the missing aspects to my recipe.
    DMM

You have no idea how your comment brightened my day up. :) Thanks so much for letting me know. This version, while not exact, is based on my grandmother’s own recipe so it makes me happy that her cooking touches other people’s lives, even if in an indirect manner. Thanks Daisy Mae 😀

16. zhey says:

hi! can i use ground beef instead of ground pork for this recipe? thanks

Hi Zhey! I haven’t tried using any meat other than pork for this recipe and honestly, I’m not quite sure if ground beef will work. I know some people try this with ground chicken (not me personally) but it might yield a closer result than beef. Personally, I wouldn’t try beef though.

17. Gavin Wright says:

i like reading food blogs because i am always seeking for new recipes.;-.

18. Isla Watson says:

i always bookmark food blogs becuase i want to look at new recipes.“-

19. Crisel says:

hi! this recipe will yield about how many lumpia? thanks

Crisel, sorry for the late reply. It never occurred to me to count how many rolls it makes (FAIL!) but I estimate it’s enough to feed a family of 5 or so?

21. lily bagtang says:

our specialty here at LUCKY’S SHANGHAI HAUZ is the lumpiang shanghai (our best seller here)…ALL who ate here are really satisfied (two thumbs!!!) you should try it too! if you’ll visit sagada mtn prov. pls dont forget to drop by at our place…mura nmasarap p thank you!