Lumpiang Shanghai Bento–Over the moon!

Long time no bento! No new posts even. That one I have to apologize for, but the past few days have just been too busy. Mostly, I’ve been waking up with little extra time to pack lunch, so I’ve been subsisting on store bought meals. I was missing bento badly though, so I made it a point to wake up early yesterday to prepare one.

Bento 149: Lumpiang Shanghai Over the Moon!

Bento #149 • 7 August 2007

One song was playing in my mind as I was doing this lunch, “When the Moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that’s Amoreeee~~~” Heehee. Appropriate, isn’t it?

This bento is prepared for the Moon challenge at Bento Challenge.

Contents:
• Steamed rice with a Lumpiang Shanghai fence. A nori cat, looking up at a Babybel Moon adorns the rice.

• Bean sprouts sauteed in oyster sauce.

• Sweet Chili Sauce

• Steamed Asparagus

• More Lumpiang Shanghai. (recipe here)

Stoopid me, I actually left this bento at home. Fortunately, it was still good when I got home, all it needed was a quick nuke in the microwave. Quite serendipitous actually, because I was too tired and cold (got drenched in a downpour) to cook dinner. I guess luck can spring from misfortune too.

This entry was posted in bento, blog carnivals. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Lumpiang Shanghai Bento–Over the moon!

1. JB says:

Galing! I love it! Great job shaping the nori into a cat. What did you use for that moon? I can’t tell :-)

2. lalalady7 says:

yummy yummy as always

3. jhewell says:

hellow im a newbie blogger… can you teach me how to cook i love your blog:)

4. Drew says:

Cute! Haha… this reminds me of the old DOS Game Alley Cat.

@lalalady7
    Thankies 😀

@jhewell
    Thanks for liking it here. As to cooking, a lot of it is learned through practice so all I can suggest is to find some simple recipes that you feel aren’t too intimidating, and to try cooking them. A lot of the recipes here are fairly easy. Just remember to read through the whole recipe before embarking on any experiments and to stick to it. And to ask questions if you have any. 😀 Good luck!

@Drew
    Your age is showing, heehee.

6. This is so artistic!!! I like the cat; very nice.

7. gita says:

you incorporate art into your cooking; well cooking is already an art in itself naman, pero you do it soooo well! nakakagutom naman your blog… makes me want to eat even more…

is that hard boiled egg white or tofu? :-)

@JB
    It’s a snack cheese, much like string cheese and stuff. They look like little quezo de bolas, complete with the red waxy stuff. The kind I buy is gouda, but there are other varients like emmental too.

Here’s how it looks like when wrapped:

The emmental version is here:

@ Biggie
    Thanks muchies. Glad to see you had time to drop by 😀

@Gita
    Thanks gita 😀 The “moon” is actually cheese. It’s called babybel and can be seen at that link I posted in my reply to JB.