Christmas Theme Bento

Despite whatever issues plague our country, Filipinos are generally a happy bunch. Maybe it’s the weather. Maybe it’s the food. Maybe it’s the fact that we begin celebrating Christmas in September!

As surprising as it may seem to people from other countries, it’s true. As soon as the -BER months arrive, you can expect to hear Christmas carols on the radio. Soon enough, parol (Christmas Lanterns) vendors, bibingka and puto bumbong (Christmas rice cakes) stalls, and Christmas tiangge (flea markets) follow, all heralding the impending arrival of this glorious season.

Sandwich Bento

Bento #156 • 3 September 2007

So to pay tribute to this calendar oddity, I’m throwing in my early Christmas cheer, in the form of a bento.

Contents:
• Rudolph the Red-Nosed Sandwich. 😛 A sandwich layered with kewpie mayonnaise, iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and mushroom lyoner. I absolutely love mushroom lyoner, the one I like best is from Santis delicatessen. The reindeer on the sandwich (a weirdly spotted one who looks like a dog :P) is made of more mushroom lyoner, a tomato nose, cheese eyeballs, and nori details.

• Green Tea-filled marshmallows

• Andes Creme de Menthe thins

Same sandwich in a less cute version for my mom:

Sandwich bento

Let me be the first person to greet you all:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

This entry was posted in bento. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Christmas Theme Bento

1. lalalady7 says:

What does mushroom lyoner tastes like? it sounds interesting and this bento looks fresh and adorable!

Fleshy, much like bologna, but with bits of mushroom. They also make other stuff like pepper lyoner, ham lyoner, and olive lyoner but the mushroom has been my favorite since I was in grade school.

2. christine says:

hello chrissie. been visiting everyone’s sites whenever i could and i must say your site content and photos are getting better and better! reading the comments is always fun and educational too. keep it up and merry christmas to you too!

3. nina says:

Gah, must you remind me? *grumble*
    Oh, and I thought Rudolph was a dog XD
    But a cute dog 😀

4. eden says:

oh man malapit na naman ang pasko XD

5. Abigail says:

Ah, that makes more sense to me now – one of my husband’s colleagues here in Japan is a Filipino guy who apparently plays Christmas music all the time, no matter the time of year. My husband thought it very mysterious, but now I get it!

@Eden
    Hehe, Christmas Bonus too! 😀

@Abigail
    Hahahaha, one of the idiosyncrasies of our country. When you’re used to it, you take it for granted, but I bet it probably feels so surreal to non-Filipinos.

7. Tony Lou says:

i want putubumbong. i almost didn’t realise that it’s the ber month already. should be thinking of Christmas now.

and the food, as usual, looks great. very casual dining. looks healthy, too.

Turn the radio on and you’ll tell at once! Even the morning shows are playing Christmas carols already. Can’t wait to start feasting on puto bumbong—especially the kind with panocha!