Lasang Pinoy 21: Champorado at Tuyo

See what else is cooking at Lasang Pinoy. Check out the Cooking for Heroes Round-up at Shoots. Eats. Leaves.

Jose Rizal, our national hero, is surrounded by a large body of stories. But more than the tales about his bravery and about his writings, it was the stories about his childhood, when he was merely young Pepe, that I liked to hear when I was a kid. About how he wrote his first Nationalistic poem when he was 8. About how his mother told him the story of the moth who got too close to the flame. And about how he invented Champorado (chocolate porridge).

Legend has it that young Pepe, in an effort to turn his day-old rice into something more delectable, poured a cup of tsokolate eh (Spanish hot chocolate) on it. Of course, the story is much debatable. Day-old rice is loose and a bit dry and tsokolate eh, no matter how thick it’s prepared, just won’t create a porridge-like consistency.

Champorado and Tuyo

Still, it’s a nice story, and when posed with the Lasang Pinoy 21: Cooking for Heroes challenge, I figured that a freshly cooked bowl of Champorado would be an interesting dish to serve Dr. Rizal. Alongside a few pieces of tuyo (dried fish) of course.

A chocolate porridge made with malagkit (sticky glutinous rice), Champorado is very filling, sweet and chocolatey. Topped with the requisite evaporated / condensed / fresh milk, it becomes even more delicious as the milk suffuses the porridge and gives it a characteristic creaminess. Because it’s usually served hot to warm, it’s the perfect dish to sit down to on cold, rainy days. In fact, on such days, it’s not unusual to hear people sigh, “I want to eat champorado.”

Champorado can be made in a variety of ways. You can prepare it with Cocoa Powder, Chocolate Baking Bars, and Tablea, dry cocoa tablets that’s used to prepare Filipino Hot Chocolate. While these ingredients produce champorado that varies in the degree of chocolatiness, it’s all a matter of personal preference. These days, champorado can be prepared from instant mixes that require nothing but the addition of water. They’re perfect for a quick champorado craving fix. One instant mix brand that I really like is Antonio Pueo’s Double Chocolate Champorado—its quality is quite comparable to champorado made from scratch. But still, Champorado is easy enough to make from scratch, and can be modified more easily to suit your personal preferences.

Champorado v. 1 November 2007

1 cup glutinous rice (sticky rice)
3 cups water
1/4 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
1/2 cup sugar
a pinch of salt

1. Wash the glutinous rice in water around 3 times or so, until the water runs noticeably clearer.
2. Put the rice and water in a medium saucepan then bring to boil, occasionally stirring to prevent it from burning.
3. Once it boils, stir continuously and make sure to lower the heat to a minimum.
4. In a small bowl, mix the cocoa powder, sugar and salt. Add a small amount of water, just enough to turn the dry ingredients into a thick paste.
5. Pour the paste mixture into the pot, mixing until well blended.
6. Continue cooking the champorado until the rice is clear (no white centers), soft and fluffy.
7. Serve with evaporated, condensed or fresh milk. It’s all a matter of preference, I like evaporated milk best but condensed is also good, just make sure to take into consideration that condensed milk is sweet on its own.

Note:This particular recipe is chocolatey yet not too sweet. In case it’s too bland for you, don’t hesitate to add sugar. Adding water is also a good idea if you prefer thinner champorado. This one thickens quite a bit, which is perfect for me because I like drowning everything in milk.

This entry was posted in blog carnivals, recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Lasang Pinoy 21: Champorado at Tuyo

1. ryan says:

as rachel ray says “YUM-OH!!!” =D

2. dementedchris says:

What an appetizing shot… gusto ko tuloy ng champorado! Looks really delish!

3. Nightfall says:

It seems interesting, I bet it would be really good! We have rice pudding here, but this doesn’t seem to have any pudding to it, so I guess it would actually be more like mochi?
    (Do you generally eat it with fish? I’m having trouble with the chocolate/fish combo idea, but then I don’t like fish! XD)

• rachel says:

it seems like a weird combination right? but champorado is so sweet that sometimes you need something salty to balance it out. Daing, dilis or Dangit (all salt-cured and dried fish dishes) are often a breakfast staple in the Philippines. Its definitely an acquired taste but its my comfort food :)

4. Em Dy says:

I remember one of the draws of eating champorado as a kid was pouring milk and forming shapes, letters with it.

5. gita says:

oh my, it is only midnight pero parang gusto ko na mag almusal dahil sa shot mo sis! ;-)

6. abby says:

wowowoww!! nung isang araw lang nai-imagine ko yung champorado, tas ganyan na ganyan may milk pa! :D

sobrang sarap nito pag may tuyo tas umuulan or malamig sa labas!

7. Cla says:

I hatechoo Chrissie! You unleash the PG in me. It’s 2:55am and I feel like eating champorado. Boooo!

8. joy says:

It’s been a while since I’ve had champorado – one reason being is that I’m away from home. However, I stock up on those instant champorado pouches. I know it’s not the same, but it’s very convenient.

I have just discovered a new product here, chocolate oatmeal, which I will blog about soon :D

joy
    The Goddess In You

Antonio Pueo is really good, I prefer it over White King—but then, those are the only two brands of instant Champorado that I’ve tried. Maybe you could stock up on it…although I do worry it might be heavy to ship. ^_^;;

@Chris
    Thankies :D

@Nightfall
    I know it sounds weird…chocolate and fish right? But somehow, this particular fish blends well. Probably because it’s more salty than fishy, if anything. Or maybe it’s just an acquired taste? Either way, I can’t imagine eating any other kind of fish other than this with it.

Oh, it’s more porridge than pudding actually. With consistency like oatmeal I guess.

@Em Dy
    Yeah! That was fun to do, I usually ended up overloading my champorado with milk because I would make too many shapes XD

@gita and Cla
    Hehe, thanks. That means I have accomplished my mission. *rubs hands stealthily*

@abby
    Ulan na lang kulang dito :P

10. Drew says:

It’s funny that I’ve never even once tried eating Champorado with Tuyo… I usually eat it with Dilis.

11. Santi says:

I love champorrado but don’t have the time to make it. So I’ve been using oatmeal (not the instant kind but still faster than malagkit) for the last 20 years. I’ve even convinced a Mexican friend to do it this way since she misses her mom’s champorrado which is made from cornmeal or sometimes barley. We got the champorrado via Mexico/Central America – after all chocolate came from this side of the world. Another friend (Filipina) has been trying to get me to use arborio rice for a change – she makes champorrado only on the weekends when she has more time to make breakfast. We did not have tuyo with our champorado when we were growing up. We did have white cheese to go with it. My friend also remembers cheese. We both have grandparents from Iloilo – could that be a regional preference?

Ay ang sarap. Perfect when it’s noh so chocolatey and the tuyo is crisp and fresh. At syempre dapat may rainy day for a background. SARAP! Ang champorado ba ay pwede ring i-serve na bento style? :D

13. nina says:

Inggit. Syet. I’m going to make this tomorrow, using what I have in the pantry: Dutch chocolate XD

I’ve never tried this with tuyo, but I like this with pan de sal. And I like using powdered milk with my O_o

14. JB says:

Waaah Chrissie you made me crave champorado right now! I’ve been sick for days but had to go to school today *sniff* Cooking with a stuffy nose (and therefore impaired taste) is such a pain! But I digress. It has been sooo champorado weathe, hasn’t it?

Growing up I found the champorado-tuyo pairing repulsive. Maybe it was because I didn’t like tuyo in the first place. I still don’t think my champorado cravings these days include tuyo, but I totally get the connection now. Salt is generally known to enhance the flavor of chocolate. Enough of this, I’m going to go find some champorado while I’m killing time here at the mall hehehe.

15. khursten says:

WAAAH! I WANT THIS FOR BREAKFAST!! TAT;;

@Drew
    Ay, dilis would be easier. But I like the salty flavor of tuyo. ^_^;;

@Santi
    White cheese with champorado? That sounds interesting. How did you eat it? Along with spoonfulls of champorado or was it in pandesal? I’d love to try that—must remember to pick up some kesong puti.

@toni
    Considered that dati, but what do I serve along with it? Our office might stink if I bring tuyo! :P

@nina
    How sowzi! Dutch Chocolate! The powdered milk surprises me though. That’s really something new!

@JB
    Awwww, get well soon! Grab some champorado na. Even if you can barely taste stuff, the warm, soothing qualities will cheer you up. I love tuyo in any form. Fried, in champorado, in fried rice, in bottled form. Tuyo has been a favorite since I was a kid so it was natural to gravitate towards champorado and tuyo as I grew older, I guess.

@khursten
    What’s stopping you? Go eat! :D :D :D

17. Pingback: LP21, the Anniversary Edition: Cooking for Heroes « Shoots. Eats. Leaves.

18. Mike says:

i had some tuyo for dinner tonight with ampalaya atsara . . . now, penge naman ng champorado! tee hee!

thanks for joining lasang pinoy 21 and hope to see you again in future LP events . . .

19. Pingback: Lasang Pinoy 21: Cooking for Heroes

20. Marvin says:

Your picture of the champorado looks so delicious! I’ve never eaten champorado before, but that picture definitely makes me want to try it.

21. bursky says:

i agree. that tuyo + champorado sounds weird but definitely goes well together. :D

didn’t know that story about champorado and rizal. you learn something new everyday. :)

22. joey says:

Your champorado looks so good! Gosh, I have yet to have it with tuyo…must try! :)

23. iska says:

Thanks, Kaoko! I didn’t know that story about pepe and champorado. And you got me craving for the latter right now. Oh you should see me enjoying tuyo in NZ hahahaha! Wala sa Beijing nun kasi and I am having a great time frequenting neighborhood dairy stores.

@Mike
    LP is always fun for me, even if I’m usually late / post at the last minute. Expect me onboard for future rounds :D

@Marvin
    Worth a shot, be true to your pinoy side :D

@bursky
    Whoever decided that tuyo would be good with champorado will always have my eternal gratitude.

@joey
    Thanks joey! I must admit that yours looks better though, I still remember that Champorado with Carabao’s Milk entry of yours :D

@iska
    No neighbors complaining? I remember my half-pinoy cousins turning their noses up when my lola would cook tuyo in Texas XD

25. Leki says:

I also remember eating this with dilis…but also with tuyo. Hehehe.

26. randall says:

wow… beautiful picture. anyway, i love white king champorado more… it’s price-reasonably compare to Antonio Pueo and it really captures the home-cooked goodness of traditional champorado in an instant…

Thanks randall! I like White King champorado too, but I guess it’s a matter of personal preference that I like Antonio Pueo a tad better. But I guess, no matter what brand, one thing’s important…

You got to have tuyo! =))

27. vincent says:

hey why there is no recipe of tuyo
    pls send in my email the recipe of tuyo

ty

Sorry but I don’t have one. We usually buy tuyo that’s already dried, so all that’s left to do is to fry. Maybe there’s one available on goodle? Can’t say I’ve tried looking for one already though.

28. Gio says:

ang sarap naman nyan!

sana meron ding recipe for menudo at kare kare…

and misua…

thanks!

Thanks Gio, the best talaga ang champorado and tuyo. Unfortunately, I can’t help you out with recipes for menudo, kare-kare nor misua. I don’t know how to cook those dishes as it’s my mom who takes care for them. I’m sure other sites have it though. Good luck hunting!

29. ANTONIA says:

LASANG LUTONG PINOY SA PILIPINAS PALAGI SA GISING NG UMAGA !
    EVEN TANGHALI O MIRIENDA ! ^_^ ,

30. Pingback: Max's Restaurant: Champorado and Tuyo Breakfast | bento, restos & recipes at http://www.kitchencow.com

31. CJ says:

I love champorado especially these days when the weather is stormy and cold. I love it with evaporated milk — it’s so wonderfull seeing those concentric white circles on brown chocolate.I have recently discovered that champrado goes well with salted labahita. I buy the labahita in Nepa Q mart. They are not very dry and have lots of flesh in them. I just had one this morning. Yummy!

That’s interesting, using different kinds of dried fish. But it makes sense, after all, you just need the salty flavor. And labahita is a good idea since it’s fleshier. I’ll try that out next time, thanks for the tip, CJ!

32. Anton says:

Hello Kaoko, great shot on your photo. I borrowed it on my blog about the Filipino Culture when I wrote something about champurado.

Thank you for letting me know Anton. As long as you keep the hypertext link back and the credit while you’re using the photo, I don’t mind, seeing that it’s not for commercial use anyway. :)

33. Imjustconcerned says:

Hi! I have this friend on fb (not really a friend) and i started noticing a year ago that he was posting (and claiming) photos that was not really his.. Here’s a link :

You cn contact me on my email. Thank you. Btw, I love your shots.

34. Pingback: “To write well about the elegant world” | Awake & Asleep