Adobo Flakes in a Jiffy

I was never a big adobo fan when I was a kid. It was something I ate when there’s nothing else on the table. So it was quite surprising when I fell in love with adobo flakes at first bite. It took everything nice about adobo and made it even nicer. Who doesn’t like crispy things after all?

175 Adobo Flakes

Bento #175 • 28 November 2007

So can you just imagine how happy I was to discover ready-to-heat adobo flakes on a big billboard on South Superhighway? I grabbed a pack on my next visit to the super but because it was quickly demolished at home, I wasn’t able to blog about it sooner.

While far from my ideal adobo flakes, I like Mom’s Kitchen Adobo Flakes simply because I can keep it the freezer, ready to cook when a craving hits. (And I can’t believe they don’t have a website. Either that or my google skills suck.)

For this lunch, I fried the Adobo Flakes to a nice crisp, then served over a bed of freshly steamed rice. I then sautéed some green beans in lemon butter then boiled some tomatoes in water. I love boiled / steamed tomatoes. Lightly salted, boiled tomatoes go well with most fried dishes. Still, I like it best with tuyo (dried fish).

Rice, meat and veggies. It may not be the world’s healthiest meal, but hey, you have to give me credit, there is some sort of attempt at striking a balance. ^_^;;

This entry was posted in bento. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Adobo Flakes in a Jiffy

1. aoitenshi says:

Ooh that’s perfect for me! I love Adobo Flakes and I’m so culinary-challenged. I’ll get to this next year. I’m making a resolution to start making bento again. :)

Damn, you make adobo flakes sounds so positively temptiiiiing.

3. abby says:

gaaarrr. i love adobo flakes. anything, adobo actually. im so pinoy like that :D

4. anivyl says:

hey kitchencow! i have been reading your journal (from lj) on and off for the past couple of years, and never commented.

anyways, i would like to say, i really like your bentos! and my friend who’s also in the phillipines pointed this out yesterday, and i think you should participate!

CALL FOR ENTRIES TO THE 1ST NATIONAL BENTO COMPETITION

DATE: 4 January 2008 (Friday)
    TIME: 10AM – 5PM
    VENUE: Japan Foundation, Manila
    The Japan Foundation, Manila and the Shangri-La Plaza Mall invite Filipino culinary talents to showcase home-grown Filipino ingredients and products and prepare intricate and artistic bento (lunchboxes) by joining the 1st National Bento Competition.
    The National Bento Competition is open to Filipinos aged 16 and above who can illustrate the fusion of the Japanese bento custom with Filipino local ingredients; and of Japanese and Filipino culinary culture and ingenuity.
    Bonafide students of any TESDA-recognized culinary school or CHED-accredited college offering HRM, Nutrition and Technology and other related courses, as well as housewives, non-professionals and professional food aficionados, are welcome to join.
    Interested participants shall submit a bento meal plan good for one person which includes the following:
    - Detailed recipe including measurement, weight and cost
    - An 8 x 10 colored photo of the finished product
    - A VCD/DVD of the cooking process and an explanation of the concept behind their bento entry. The VCD/DVD should not be more than 10 minutes.
    - The bento should contain the following mandatory components: starch (rice, noodles, etc.), vegetables, protein (seafood, pork, beef or chicken).
    - The use of local ingredients is a MUST.
    Aside from the bento meal plan, the participants are also required to submit:
    - Birth Certificate
    - Entry Form
    - Photocopy of the CHED/TESDA certificate of the school.
    - Endorsement from the culinary school head or college dean printed in the school letterhead.
    Entries should be mailed or hand-delivered to the Japan Foundation, Manila, 12/F Pacific Star Building, Sen. Gil Puyat cor. Makati Avenue, Makati City 1226, on or before Friday, 4 January 2008.
    One participant each from Luzon, NCR, Visayas and Mindanao will compete during the National Bento Competition finals at the Grand Atrium of the Shangri-la Plaza Mall, Mandaluyong City on Sunday, February 24, 2008. The first prize winner will be awarded PhP 50,000, while the second and third placers will be awarded PhP 30,000 and PhP 10,000, respectively.
    The National Bento Competition caps the week-end celebration of the NihonGo Fiesta, the annual Philippine-Japan culture and language showcase, at the Shangri-La Plaza Mall.
    JFM website: http://www.jfmo.org.ph

write on your journal if you do join! i would like to see the pictures :)

@aoitenshi
    The package even suggests different ways of cooking it, depending on how you like your adobo flakes. There’s a saucy version, a crispy version, and a few more ways that’s more convenient.

@toni
    But it is! ^_^;;

@abby
    Adobo. THE definitive pinoy dish.

@anivyl
    Thanks! I’m still thinking about whether I’m up to the challenge. :D

6. Pinky says:

I love all your wonderful recipes_i’m now your fan when it comes to good eats! Hope you can share with me some other Pinoy delis, thanks a lot! :)