Recently, preparing bento has been an elusive task, as shown by the absence of updates here. A sorry state that I’d like to correct because I have more reasons to prepare bento now that we’ve moved offices and there are less options for buying lunch. So I think a reminder post on why bento wins is called for—to give me that necessary push to go back to bento.
1. It’s cheaper. I know, I know. Being obsessed with bento can be expensive, seeing how I own more than 20 bento boxes. I confess to spending a couple of hundred dollars already on bento paraphernalia, but then, those aren’t necessities. If I just count the food costs, packing bento still translates to cheaper lunches.
2. It’s convenient. Having your lunch ready saves you time because the perennial question of “Where do we eat?” is solved.
3. It’s yummy! My bento always has to be delicious because I’m the one who’ll eat it! Personally, I always prioritize taste over cuteness because it’s something I’ll eat. If it’s not something I’ll want to eat undecorated on a plate, chances are, it won’t go into my bento.
5. It’s healthier. When preparing bento, I try to balance the contents between carbs, proteins and lots of fruits and veggies. While I’m not always successful, all in, it’s still a concrete effort to be a little bit healthier.
6. It’s all about the food I eat. One great thing about preparing your own food is you get to choose what goes in your lunch box. So I’m always assured that it’s food I like to eat. But then again, I eat almost anything. *laughs*
7. I get to experiment on new dishes. Because I’m mostly cooking for myself, there’s no fear about wasting food in case a new recipe or an experiment goes haywire. And if it’s a success, I learn something new!
8. It’s a reason to blog! I know there’s been a dearth of blog posts here lately so I just hope this resolution will push me to prepare bento more, and update more often.
Now it’s your turn. What are your reasons for packing lunch?
1 lolcat â€“ cat macros, popularly referred to as lolcats are pictures of animals, most popularly cats, with quotes in fragmented English superimposed on them. One of my favorite lolcat sites is http://icanhascheezburger.com/.
2 kyaraben â€“ (character bento) Bento with characters from anime, manga, or sometimes, even celebrities on them.