UCC Cafe Terrace at Trinoma: Pleasant Breakfasts

My love for UCC is something I don’t keep secret, so it’s easy to understand why I was so excited when I was invited to a sponsored breakfast with other bloggers. Truth is, UCC is not a coffee shop I visit on a whim. The notion that it’s expensive is not unfounded because it is a bit pricier than other coffee shops. Still, I love UCC because it’s every peso well-spent.

UCC Trinoma

UCC, which stands for Ueshima Coffee Company, is a Japanese chain that takes its coffee seriously. For one, they have a hand in all stages of the coffee production, from conditioning the soil where the coffee is to be planted to choosing which side to serve your coffee from (the left side because a lot of their smoking customers keep their cigarettes on the right). Devotion to the perfection of their coffee is utmost. They even employ classificadores, expert coffee tasters who decide what blend to use for their coffee from year to year, all to ensure consistency in their blends to compensate for the differences of each year’s coffee crop.

Coffee

Trying out their different coffees was a pleasure. From the smooth house blend, to the strong, aromatic sumiyaki (always my personal favorite!) to the prized blue mountain which had nuances of acidity without being unpleasantly sour. Their coffee, siphon brewed as you order (remember my fascination with that weird coffee brewer thingie a while back?), is so wonderfully prepared that I found it more enjoyable to sip it sans cream and sugar.

Siphon Brewers

Of course, while the excellent coffee is a good enough reason to visit UCC, for me, the real reason to go to UCC is always the food. From their hearty breakfast fare, to their mouthwatering fusion Japanese dishes to the toothsome desserts, there’s much to sink your teeth into. We were told to choose something from the breakfast menu. In a way, it’s a good thing because otherwise, I would’ve ended up with Chicken and Mushroom Risotto again.

Frankfurters and Waffles

I had the Frankfurter Waffle set. Piled on my plate was a thick, juicy, flavorful frankfurter that was adorned with little cross-hatches. (I can already see it in my bento. :P) Served with it were two light and crisp waffles and a small fresh salad of lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers. On the side was a small gravy boat of syrup.

Shiitake Mushroom Omelette

While I enjoyed my food, I have to confess, I was so envious as I saw Rochelle’s Shiitake Mushroom Omelet being served. An omelet folded with mozzarella cheese and lightly sautéed shiitake mushrooms then drizzled with a sauce that I assume to be a variation of béchamel, it was delicious. Plain and simple delicious. The shiitake was earthy, perfectly complemented by the light cheese and creamy sauce. I wanted to switch our plates when she wasn’t looking but she took pity and shared her food.

Bacon and Eggs

One thing to be noted about events with bloggers is how it long it takes before people actually dig in because everyone’s always busy taking photos! I confess to being guilty of it. Above is B’ley’s Bacon platter. Mmm…bacon…

English Bangers

And here’s Marck’s English Bangers and toast.

This entry was posted in restos & eateries, sponsored events and features. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to UCC Cafe Terrace at Trinoma: Pleasant Breakfasts

1. Nightfall says:

Do lots of people smoke at coffee shops there? That has been illegal here for so long it is hard to imagine! (I think it is still ok to do outdoors, but the weather here is too fickle to support a whole lot of outdoor dining…)
    The sausage with the waffle cuts remind me of pine cones!

2. Mimi says:

All of it looks so delicious. I miss great coffee. There are two or three coffeehouses on island, but they just are not that good… and forget anywhere to eat breakfast! I am so jealous. There is not even a good blogger community here. *sigh*

3. Leki says:

I have to learn how to do that…shoot pics before I eat. :(

4. Suzanne says:

Oh nomnomnom! Tasty!

5. Mrs. G says:

What camera do you use? You take lovely pictures.

6. aoitenshi says:

UCC has a special place in my heart, because I one of the first interviews I did as a writer was with its owner. We talked about their high-tech, PDA-enabled ordering system. :) Their branches are so far though, so I haven’t been there in ages. This post made me went to go again. The food looks scrumptious! I’m hungry now.

@Nightfall
    Usually outside the coffee shops but this particular one had a glassed in smoking area. That’s a rarity though, it’s mostly al fresco. I guess it helps that we’re in the tropics.

And yay for pinecones! Actually, it reminded me more of treeson!

@Mimi
    Awww, that’s disappointing. But maybe it simply means you’ll have to make good coffee for yourself?

@Leki
    Kung kaya ko, kaya mo! Actually, it’s just a matter of getting used to it. Now, even my mom’s used to letting me take photos before digging in.

@Suzanne
    Nomnomnomnomnom is right!

@Mrs.G
    Thanks Mrs.G! Heehee, that makes me happy—that’s one field where I really want to improve. To answer your question, I switch between two cameras, a compact point and shoot (IXUS55) which resides permanently in my purse, and a larger DSLR (EOS450D) for when I’m feeling artsy. I’m still getting to know the DSLR (Natsuki! Yes, I name my gadgets) more though, as she’s only been with me since the end of April. For this particular entry, I was using the DSLR.

@aoitenshi
    Wow! Memories pala, that’s a big deal, coming from you, Miss Starbucks 😀

What a way to start the day! I think I’ll get that mushroom omelet sometime… and that kitkat mousse too!!!!

9. ApplesH says:

It was nice to see you again! Its been a year now isn’t it. Keep blogging! Cheers!

@toni
    It was light and yummy, really a perfect way to start the day. I really regretted not getting it instead. My food was good too, but it’s not something I can only get at UCC. Unlike the omelet. Inggit ako sobra nun, heeheehee.

@ApplesH
    Omg, has it been a year already? Hahaha, shows how I don’t do events much, it’s been a year and I only have 4-5 event related posts! It really was nice to see you again, I hope next time I can sit near you so we can chat while eating 😀

11. shiela says:

the management is not good…the staff dont take the benefits equally..

It’s unfortunate if that’s the case however I don’t think I’m in a position to comment. Perhaps you should take this up with the management itself? I’m just a customer who enjoyed her meal. ^_^

12. Pingback: Gadget