Donau Gourmet: A Slice of Germany

Delicatessens are wonderful places. Logs upon logs of cold cuts, rows of sausages, slabs of bacon, wheels of cheeses and shelves of specialty ingredients. What’s not to love? One deli I was able to visit recently was Donau Gourmet, a cozy delicatessen and café that serves authentic German cooking.

donau01

Run by a husband and wife team — he’s a German chef and she runs front of the house — Donau Gourmet offers daily specials that are written on a chalkboard behind the glass counter. Here, you can order, then grab a seat at one of the cozy tables where you can enjoy your meal amidst the piped in German music.

donau02

Aside from the café’s offerings, Donau Gourmet has an extensive line of sausages and cold cuts, all locally manufactured, assuring you of freshness. Peering at the glass display cases was tough! It’s so difficult to choose because I wanted to try everything. Fortunately, everything is reasonably priced.

donau03

We ended up bringing home some Mushroom Lyoner, Smoked Bacon, Scheublig, Pusta Hungarian and a sausage that’s exclusive to them whose name escapes me right now. Overall, the sausages were good. They were seasoned well, firm and juicy, and bursting with flavor. For the ones we tried, the meat was grinded evenly, unlike other sausages, which sometimes have large, undesirable chunks of fat.

donau04

Also worth highlighting is the bacon. When I opened the package, I was shocked at how thin the slices were. I was even quick to note that I shouldn’t buy it again, words that I had to bite back, as they turned out marvelous! They were perfectly seasoned, light and amazingly crisp.

donau05

Aside from the usual cold cuts and sausages, Donau Gourmet also stocks German groceries, fresh baked bread, and a selection of wines.
donau06

If you’re in the area, be sure to drop by Donau Gourmet for a relaxing meal or to grab goodies for bringing home. You’re sure to find something to love.

Donau Gourmet
130 Amorsolo Mansion
Amorsolo corner Rufino Sts.
Legaspi Village, Makati City
840-2887

This entry was posted in food shopping, restos & eateries and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Donau Gourmet: A Slice of Germany

1. Mrs. G says:

It’s near my husband’s office :) I’ll try it next week. Thanks for the tip!

2. Wow! All that food looks amazing, I wish there was a place like that near me, but then again I would gain a billion pounds from eating all those fattening goodies lol

@Mrs. G
    Please keep me posted about what stuff you like, so I can try it too 😀

@Jaguarrior
    Heehee, as long as you take fattening foods in moderation, I think it’ll work.

4. for folks who don’t have the time to swing by the deli, individually-packaged sausages and pre-sliced cold cuts from DONAU are also available at the deli section of the LANDMARK SUPERMARKET in MAKATI. for dee-lee-cious stuff that goes as low as PhP 84 per pack, the quality and value for money can’t be beat <3

Awesome, thanks for the heads-up, magnetic_rose! While it’s more fun to oggle the food at the deli, it’s definitely more convenient to grab some when you’re in the super.

5. maver says:

i live so near yet i haven’t this covered this. thanks for sharing!

6. Marco says:

Like the sausages and all the rest. Was even surprise to discover that they re now selling the famous french confectionary bonbons Barnier. Perfect for gift or just yourself….

7. Pingback: Bouquet de Bonbons: Finally, REAL fruit candy | bento, restos & recipes at http://www.kitchencow.com

8. Chris says:

went there for lunch, food is good … ordered lyoner that they forgot to pack into my bag, and they wanted to charge 30 pesos to cut my bread 😉 shouldnt that be part of the service? i calculated the cost of labor to slice up bread (say php 500/day /8 hours divided by 60 minutes… and say the lady had to cut the bread for 3 mins max, the total cost of cutting bread would end up to 3.12 pesos, which i would assume is very easily served as an added value service to the bread – especially since the waitresses are not that basy anyway…

cheers
    Chris

It’s unfortunate that that happened to you. I agree with you, something as simple as slicing bread should come as an added service. Even Bread Talk does that for free, even when they’re busy.

9. Kesh says:

Hi! would you know where they’re located now? Sorry, I’m digging your old posts. :)

Hi Kesh! Sorry, but I’ve no idea. I’ve seen their stuff in some groceries though, so I think they’re still in business. Good luck finding them!