Bento from Beyond the Grave!

I’m taking a break from the chronological bento postings to bring you something chilling, thrilling, timely and best of all, NYUMMY! Rest assured, the thing creeping from beyond the grave is something edible and not leftovers left too long in a bento box.

Bento from Beyond the Grave

31 October 2008

Forming dirt is a bed of Crispy Corned Beef, an evil evil delight I learned about from one of my bosses, all laid on top of rice. Incidentally, cooking Crispy Corned Beef is a horrifying experience that’s only for the brave of heart—adventurers who fear nothing, not even sputtering oil—so that adds to the thrilling factor. The winning combination of corned beef and rice makes the nyummy part—I definitely can’t wait for lunch to come.

The hands creeping from the dirt and the headstone is made from singkamas (jicamas) adored with nori. Finally, the flower laid against the gravestone is made from a bit of tomato and spring onion. That’s it for Halloween Bento 2008.

Happy Halloween everyone!

This entry was posted in bento. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Bento from Beyond the Grave!

1. Mrs. G says:

Recipe for the Crispy Corned Beef please :)

2. wysgal says:

That’s just too cute.

3. eilismaura says:

yes — please let us know if Crispy Corned Beef requires anything other than risking death to get all of it WELL WELL done!!

I can imagine this — girding my loins, opening the tin of Corned beef hash and just trying to hang in till it is all cooked – truly crispy cooked — dodging the hell bent splatters along the way!

4. Suzanne says:

Awwww, that’s so cute! How did you cook the Crispy corned beef?

5. Team Onika says:

Hahahaha! This is just funny and brilliant at the same time! :)

6. ganns says:

I love it! How creative! I’ll make something along its lines for Nathan. :)

7. Tara says:

recipe for the crispy corned beef please!

8. Mimi says:

I’m with everyone else… recipe please? It’s super cute.

9. I love love love corned beef — and I love the crispy, almost burnt kind even more. Plus I love how you’ve turned it into a timely bento. Win!

10. Mila says:

Yes, please post the crispy corned beef recipe! I would love to make it, even at the risk of spatter and a messy kitchen afterwards!

11. Mike says:

kawaii!!!

12. food that truly makes you fear for your life while cooking it, AWESOME!

@Mrs. G, Suzanne, Tara, Mimi & Mila
    No real recipe e, it’s really just stir-fried corned beef. Just stir-fry in a small amount of oil (1 tbsp max) and don’t stop stirring so it doesn’t cook clumped up. Oh, and I used Samba brand corned beef. According to my boss, she has tried other brands (Purefoods, Argentina) but only Samba crisps nicely. I trust her judgement so I didn’t bother testing with other brands—I just bought Samba promptly. I don’t want to experiment na, the brand we usually get (Palm or Hereford Chunky) is too precious to me to experiment on.

@wysgal
    Thanks wysgal! Fortunately, I never let cute stop me from glomping the whole thing down 😀

@eilismaura
    Hahahaha! That sounded like me that morning! Really, my wrists were full of little oil splatters. It doesn’t help that I was too lazy to look for a long spatula, I was just using a table spoon to fry. Suicidal much? 😛

@Team Onika
    Thanks! I had fun making it too, hehe.

@ganns
    Hope Nathan enjoys it as much as I did!

@dementedchris
    Thankies 😀 😀 😀

@Mike
    Thanks muchies! 😀

@Jaguarrior (Anastey)
    The things we do for food! 😛

14. Mila says:

I toasted the heck out of small can of Libby’s corned beef. It’s yummy! No cute ghostly singkamas though, but yummy and crispy.

15. Mila says:

Yes, I bought a small can just in case it wouldn’t work as well, I think they have several flavors, but I used the basic one. It is the perfect foil for healthy brown rice. I paired it with japanese vegie curry too!

I think I found the can you were talking about. Will pick some up when I run out of what we have on hand. Mahirap maraming Corned beef sobra sa pantry 😛

16. Pingback: And…a new random obsession for a kitsune…. « chasing shadows again