Co-op finds a new home

EDIT: Co-op is now renamed Choto Stop and can be found at 2277 Chino Roces Ave., San Lorenzo Village, Makati City. It’s right beside Kikufuji. 😀 Thanks for the correction Mila!

A few months back, my friends and I were thoroughly saddened when one of our favorite Japanese groceries, Co-op, closed down. A small store that was stocked to the brim with snacks, food mixes, cooking ingredients, drinks, fresh vegetables, preserved and ready-to-eat foodstuff, and processed meats, you can spend ages browsing through the shelves, ooh-ing and aah-ing over what they offer. Never mind that I couldn’t understand what was written on the wrappers; pictures on labels, researching through my cookbooks and online and blind faith always worked in my case.

1_IMG_0058

So can you imagine how happy I was when I found out that not only had they re-opened, but they’re now bigger, better and… well, betterer? Our friendly all-goods-for-75-bucks (save a few items that are tagged with other prices) has reopened in a bigger location along Pasong Tamo St. Makati. It’s now part of Little Tokyo, just two stores down from Kikufuji.

2_IMG_0052

The new store is bigger, with wider aisles and more shelves. The lights are brighter plus the store feels generally roomier. I dropped by last week and while there were still a couple of empty shelves, I was assured that more deliveries are on the way. There’s even a separate section for the refrigerators, all set to open soon as well.

3_IMG_0053

Searching for snacks? Choose from a wide selection of chips, corn-based snacks and senbei (rice crackers). No Frito Lay Takoyaki Balls that time, but I heard that a batch came in this week. Drat!

4_IMG_0059

An assortment of sauces for your cooking and dressing needs. The white-capped bottle on the third shelf from the top, Kewpie Goma (sesame seed) Dressing is awesome stuff!

5_IMG_0063

Addicted to Curry? Try the Kamen Rider Curry!

6_IMG_0060

Spice up your rice with a gajillion furikake flavors!

7_IMG_0055

See? Even these unidentified shoppers were as gleeful as I was over the re-opening! Don’t let these…uhm…unidentified shoppers hoard all the good stuff! Drop by Co-op and go grab your favorite goodies! (Please, just don’t buy out all the Takoyaki Snack balls, leave some for me!)

Co-op is open all days of the week, from 10am to 10pm.

This entry was posted in food shopping and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Co-op finds a new home

1. Gemma says:

Look at all those furikake!!! O.o

2. Suzanne says:

Yay~ Thanks for the info!

3. Bea says:

Yay! It’s open again! I missed it. :(

4. Tony Lou says:

the floor looks so clean. :o)

5. Shar says:

Wow, thanks so much for this very good news! :)

6. Mila says:

this is great news!!! i was sad when i saw their notice of closure, but my blues are gone!

@Gemma
    You haven’t even seen anything yet—that’s just one of two racks!

@Suzanne, Bea, Shar and Mila
    Hahaha, baka magkitakita pa tayo dun ah!

@Tony Lou
    And I hope it stays that way! 😀

8. (( K@Y )) says:

simple looking place but looks very organize…
    I probably get a ton of stuff there, so neat.

9. Mila says:

I noticed it’s not named Coop anymore but Copto Store or shop. And it’s right next door to Kikufuji. I think the salesladies are happier, they seemed chipper towards the clients, not as surly as they used to be in the old location.

10. mike says:

i am curious by that takoyaki snack u are talking about:)

11. kryjnn says:

I’ve been there! Checked it out after dinner at Hana in Little Tokyo late December. I had no idea that they had just opened shop there. Guess that’s why I felt like things were out of place, you know.. like they haven’t gotten that “lived in” look yet.

But this is a great post! I’ll be sure to drop by again now that I know more about this place.

@ (( K@Y ))
    Yes, the store’s very organized and it’s a joy to shop there. <3

@Mila
    You're so right! I didn't realize until I looked at the receipt, it's now Chotto Stop. Hehe, my only excuse is that I went there in the evening and the parking lot in front was occupied so I wasn't able to pay attention to the storefront. It's the same store though---same owner and all. A friend told me that the sales personnel is all new, maybe that's why they're nicer? 😀

@mike
    It's yummy---for a junkfood junkie like me at least! It's addictive, I keep stuffing my face with it whenever I buy. Haven't had the chance to go back for some though. *sigh*

@kryjnn
    Yep! They reopened last December I think. Wasn't able to go until January, when we went back to work though. I hear the fridge section is now open too as well. Worth going back, no?

13. gin says:

Gosh, it’s been ages since I’ve been there. I used to go there everyday after work, (just walking distance) then hang out in Sango. Good to know that they reopened and it’s well stocked and bigger.

It’s a sign to go back 😀 Though it’s a bit of a walk from Sango now, around a block away since it’s in Little Tokyo now whereas Sango’s still in Creekside.

14. strife says:

thanks for the heads-up, been wondering where they have set shop.. it’s about time they get back in business.. my stocks have gone bad and i miss my onigiri breakfast.

15. Garando says:

YES!!! Thanks for this info. Garandee and I have been wondering when they’ll open again, so we’re real glad they’re back in business. Apparently she couldn’t live on New Hatchin alone.
    I hope they’re still selling my favorite choco ice cream waffle.

@strife
    I didn’t realize there’s so many of us Co-op fans. With all us buying, I hope business will be good for them.

@Garando
    I miss New Hatchin! I haven’t been there in a year or so. We moved offices again though so it’s easier to go to New Hatchin. I miss their anpan!

And what is this choco ice cream waffle you love? :3 Sounds interesting…

17. Rei says:

Are they open during sundays?

18. Rei says:

Ooops btw I forgot, silly me. Do you happen to know J-wave Waltermart? Have you been there? I was sort of wondering if its still open when I drop by Choto XD

YES! It closed down years ago. *sob sob sob* I loved J-Wave. Most of my first Nakano boxes are from J-wave and I still use them. I was able to catch them during their closing down sale and they said they were looking for new shop space, most likely in Paseo de Sta. Rosa and Robinson’s Place in Cavite but I never found it if they did move. *sniff* Gawd I miss that store.

• Rei says:

I’ve been to Robinsons Place Imus Cavite and the only Japanese store I saw there was Japan Home Center =(. . . Yay! I went to Choto Stop last weekend and it was such a bad timing. The streets were so flooded so we were in a hurry and I wasn’t able to browse that long *sniffs* I’m planning to drop by New Hatchin next time though I do not know where its located or what are the establishments that are near it so we’d be able to find it easier. XD

It’s in San Antonio Village in Makati, in front of BDO, on the way to Sacred Heart Church. Sorry I can’t be more specific. I know my way there but I don’t know what the street’s name is. *facepalm*

19. Pingback: Shiroi Koibito: Love that Melts in your Mouth | bento, restos & recipes at http://www.kitchencow.com

20. Pingback: Map of Little Tokyo Makati | justwandering.org

21. Pingback: An Assortment of Bento options at Choto Stop | bento, restos & recipes at http://www.kitchencow.com

22. It has been re-renamed to Seikyo — but it’s still the same Co-op/Chotto Stop we know and love 😀

23. Jason says:

I’ve only visited Little Tokyo a couple of times, and it’s unfortunate that I have not checked out this shop. Would anyone happen to know if Seikyo/Co-op/Chotto has/sells masago..? I live 3 hours away from Manila, so, I can’t check for myself even if I wanted to. Thank you in advance for any information!