Lasang Pinoy Sundays: Potato Salad from Leftovers

This week’s Lasang Pinoy Sundays theme is Leftovers. It’s a theme I’m very familiar with since I’m used to rehashing old dishes in the fridge. Either by reheating or by reinventing leftovers into something new, it’s always something that’s present in our home.

Potato Salad

My entry features potato salad, made from a leftover baked potato. I cooked one too many baked potatoes for dinner the evening which made its reappearance in my bento the next day as potato salad.

To prepare, I cubed the potato, buttered and all. Refrigerating it caused the butter I drizzled on it to congeal but no biggie, it didn’t really matter much. I also peeled and cubed half a Fuji apple and threw in half a chopped onion. Throw in some Pine Nuts (I prefer walnuts but these were the only nuts lying around the house) then added just enough kewpie mayo to dress the thing. Season with salt and pepper and there! Baked potato no more, all thanks to other ingredients just lying around the house.

What are your favorite ways to give life to old leftovers?

This entry was posted in blog carnivals and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Lasang Pinoy Sundays: Potato Salad from Leftovers

1. my answer to all sorts of leftovers from sliced ham to spaghetti is to toss them into some scrambled eggs with salt and pepper (and maybe some onion) and make fritatas <3 they are lovely piping hot from the stove, and are a cinch to make 😀

2. peachkins says:

it still looks yummy!

3. Gemma says:

I tend to use leftover chicken in soups or chicken salad.

Leftover veggies are good anywhere – from omelets to an extra zing in mashed potatoes^^

P.S. – I love your pictures. Do you set your camera to specific settings or use photoshop? or both?

4. Suzanne says:

Hmmm, leftover chicken usually turns into the soup base for sopas. And yeah, leftovers are great in fritatas and omelettes!

5. ces says:

that is one good looking left-over dish:)i just love potato salad. and now i won’t be afraid to make one too many baked or grilled potatoes!:) thanks again for playing!

6. kryjnn says:

Leftovers usually get made into sandwiches – leftover chicken can be turned into chicken salad sandwich filling, or shredded and mixed with some bbq sauce for chicken bbq sandwich (got this one from Rachel Ray). Hmm.. also, omelet filling..

@magnetic_rose
    True! Fritatas are always good. Haven’t tried the spaghetti kind but I saw a feature on it once and it does look yummy <3

@peachkins
    It was yummy. And I want more :(

@Gemma
    Agree, leftover chicken is so nice. Just flake then add to soup, salads, even for chicken sandwiches. YUM! And about your camera question, sorry it took me so long to respond. Commented here: http://www.kitchencow.com/2009/01/16/a-cooks-tour-winner-plus-a-special-sur-prize/

@Suzanne
    Now I want sopas too. :( I really shouldn’t answer comments when hungry :(

@ces
    Thanks ces! I’m just happy I made the deadline this time around. I’m always missing out on the all the fun challenges :(

@kryjnn
    Mmmm…barbeque chicken sandwiches sound good! I’ll try that next time!

8. dementedchris says:

I love potatoes; I adore potato salads. Hehehe. We usually have them as a side dish to beef.

9. Raechelle says:

Croquettas are always good for leftovers. Fairly easy to make with mashed potato (flakes or the real thing) or made with a creamy roue (my favorite).

10. Marie says:

one of my fave potato salad, yummy