F-word Restaurant: Fusion with Attitude

I first heard about F-word when Manila Boy started waxing “foetic” about Peanut Butter Soup. I’m no fan of peanut butter but it was an interesting idea, plus I’m friends with a couple of peanut butter fiends so I had to find out. I was planning to check the restaurant out but you know how it is with the last quarter of the year — a heavy workload and family holidays. That’s why I was pretty psyched to receive an invite to an F-word food tasting. I could almost taste the Peanut Butter Soup already. Unfortunately for me, it wasn’t on the evening’s menu but it was all right.

F-word 01

I got to the event a tad late; it was a weekday night and my job still comes first. I missed out on the Black Calamares and Hassle-free Gambas, but I still caught a piece of the Tamaraw Wings.

F-word 02

What I assume to be a rendition of the classic Buffalo Wings, the Tamaraw Wings, named such after the only endemic bovine to the Philippines, is a notch spicier than most. It’s mostly a crisp, breaded chicken wing smothered in a sweet and spicy chili sauce. Truthfully, it was a tad too spicy even for me, and I like spicy food. I could imagine this would be better with an icy cold bottle of beer and not the iced tea I was drinking that evening.

F-word 03

Next came some soup. First up was the Pakbet Soup. Instead of the usual stewed vegetables we all know pakbet to be, we were served with a thick, hearty vegetable soup, made chunky by morsels of the traditional pakbet ingredients. There was your usual eggplant, bitter melon and bits of crunchy pork in what I’m guessing to be a squash base? A bit of bagoong (shrimp paste) rounds out the flavor, cutting the buttery richness while adding a salty kick to the whole thing.

F-word 04

The soup I liked the best was the Potato Leek Arroz Caldo. Unlike the usual rice-laden Arroz Caldo, this one was smoother and much lighter, probably because of the creamy potato soup base. Crowning the soup was a couple of yummy, crunchy chicken skin chicharon pieces and some chopped leeks. Much like the original Arroz Caldo, snuggling up to a bowl of this would be perfect for a rainy day.

F-word 05

To complete the trio of soups, we were served the F-soup. The curious among us asked, “What is in the F-soup?” Our host, Chef Francis answered succinctly, “Soup #5.” Oh. I don’t know how much of it is an authentic soup #5 (yes, a bull’s privates) but I can safely say that the soup is very flavorful beefy soup, made refreshing by a bit of fresh cilantro. Yes, there were…uhm…meat bits which were nice, tender and quite yummy too. MOVING ON…

F-word 06

After the soup, we were served with a trio of pasta dishes. I chose to start with the Tuna Tinapa pasta, a full-flavored yet refreshing mix of crunchy yet meaty smoked tuna, fresh tomatoes and basil. I love the tuna tinapa; I can imagine eating loads of it with rice, but it’s still equally good with the pasta.

This entry was posted in culinary events, restos & eateries, sponsored events and features and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to F-word Restaurant: Fusion with Attitude

1. aoitenshi says:

Oooh it’s just in Palanca! It sure sounds like a fun resto – all the dishes looked really good and had me curious at the same time. I’ll keep it in mind when I’m feeling adventurous. :)

2. dementedchris says:

Mmmm… sounds yummy! Good thing it’s near, too! I think Mike would like this. I can’t believe you ate Soup #5 hehe. There are so many dishes here that I’d love to try.

• nina says:

Paanong di kami makakakain nun eh sinabi lang samin after we all took a sip XD Pero masarap naman, I’m glad they didn’t tell us, because otherwise, we would’ve missed out on a really good soup

3. Desmone007 says:

Hi nice blog and photos! I’d like to introduce you to Foodista.com – a food and cooking encyclopedia – and invite you to link your blog to foodista-related pages using our small embeddable widgets. Check it out here. This is a good way for you to build traffic and connect with other food lovers! Also feel free to share your recipes and tips with us!

4. nina says:

Panalo ang white balance! 😀

Shet ka Kao, nakakagutom sobra ang mga pictures!

I’ve heard so much about this resto! I have yet to try it. Thanks for the review! I know what to expect from some of the dishes then!

6. Tony Lou says:

where’s palanca? i’m so lost in this small city of makati. anyway, i think i want to try that chicken liver ravioli. it has 3 things i like: ravioli, chicken liver and daing. hehe!

7. wow… like nina said Fotos are Fantastic… I was not able to greet you personally but I hope you can join us again next time:)

8. Pingback: What’s Delicious in F Word? | PinoyCravings.com

9. entrepgirl says:

your photos look great, very appetizing indeed. :)

@aoitenshi
    Go for F-SOUP! Soup #5!!!

@dementedchris
    Soup #5!!!

@nina
    I think we were almost done when Chef Francis told us what it was, no?

@Desmone007
    Thanks for the invite! I’ll be checking it out soon—just as soon as my workload clears up.

@nina
    Hahaha, baliw! Siraulo ka talaga. I know better than to take you seriously, beach!

@toni
    I think it’s enjoying a nice buzz in the advertising community, yes? I think they even have ad community events there.

@Tony Lou
    It’s in Legaspi Village, it’s a street parallel to Rada. Hnnnn…Are you familiar with Dela Rosa? Just walk down that street from Greenbelt 5 and you’re bound to hit Palanca since it ends at Dela Rosa. It’s either the second or third street down.

@Pinoy Cravings
    Thank you so much! You looked really busy that evening so I wasn’t able to greet you as well, but thanks for having a hand in organizing the thing. It’s well appreciated.

@entrepgirl
    Thanks! I hope you get a chance to try it out. The food is pretty fun and interesting.