Cute Quail Eggs invade my Bento

I have always thought that eggs molded with egg shapers were the cutest things ever. It never occurred to me that something can beat that in the cuteness department. How? Well, make them tinier by using QUAIL EGG MOLDS!

Bento with Cute Quail Eggs

Yes, a couple of months ago, I was finally able to get my hands on a set of quail egg molds (from ebay, if you’re curious). I’ve been meaning to share the pics but I think my large blog post backlog is already common knowledge to most of you. These egg molds work the same way as the large ones for chicken eggs — slip hot peeled hardboiled egg in, then steep in water bath or pop in the freezer for a few minutes.

Doggie and Rabbit Quail Egg

What came out were cute little eggs, three emblazoned with cute chick faces while the other three (only two shown here) were embossed with animal heads. It’s not a tool I’d used on a daily basis, but the instant cute factor they add to food is irresistible.

Expressive Chickies

Together with my cute quail eggs, I had some crispy corned beef, steamed rice, and a small fresh salad of iceberg lettuce and tomatoes, to be dressed with a ready-made Japanese vinaigrette. Hearty, yes. Cute, very very much.

This entry was posted in bento and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Cute Quail Eggs invade my Bento

1. Suzanne says:

They’re too cute to eat! >_<

2. I see their cute little faces! <3

3. Sarah says:

OMG I LOVE IT!!! Around how much are those molds? 😀

4. Tony Lou says:

i want panda quail eggs. you could use nori(tama ba?) as the black parts. hehe!

5. deej110 says:

try visit this site but all in japanese 😉
    so many great products they making for O-bento.
    if need some help, let me know

6. Ems says:

omg ang cuuuuute!~ haha parang ayaw mo nang kainin!

@Suzanne & Ems
    Cuteness will not save you!!! *evil laugh*

@dementedchris
    Even the chicken ones? 😛

@Sarah
    Hnnn…I don’t remember exactly but I know it was less than 10 USD.

@Tony Lou
    Yuh, you could!

@deej110
    Thanks for the link. Gawd I want to shop with them. :( Unfortunately, they don’t ship overseas. According to a Nihongo-fluent friend at least.

8. czaroma says:

this is really cute! I really have no idea na may egg molds pala :)

9. carol says:

I just found your site and I love it :) Those eggs are too cute! I’ll have to check out the Japanese stores for them. Thanks for sharing ^__^

@Czaroma
    Yeah! Another Japanese invention. Neat huh? Btw, hope you don’t mind me asking but you have a very distinctive name. Did you study at PCS? :3

@carol
    Thanks carol! Hope you find some. They’re pretty single-use but I have to admit, they’re loads of fun to use. 😛

Where’d you get them? They’re sooooooooo cute!

12. ness says:

hi, i want to buy the cute egg molds too! i checked ebay pero sa int’l sellers lang meron..
    sang japanese store kaya available..? makati area sana. thanks a lot!!! :)

@toni
    Some US seller on ebay. It wanted it that much, I bought international 😛

@ness
    For chicken eggs, you might be able to chance upon them at the local Japanese stores. But for quail eggs, I’ve never seen them locally. International seller rin ako bumili.

14. Pingback: Bento with Pasta, Pate and Baguette | bento, restos & recipes at http://www.kitchencow.com

15. entrepgirl says:

these are so cute! i really admire your patience in making all these food. i could only wish to have the patience and time to do all that. cheers! :)

16. Sidney says:

Good web site you have got here.. It’s difficult to find quality writing like yours nowadays.
    I really appreciate people like you! Take care!!