Bento with Pasta and Baby Potatoes

Growing up, spaghetti meant one thing. Spaghetti strands slathered with a sweetened tomato-based meat sauce that was loaded with sliced red hotdogs. Grated cheese topped the whole thing. For the 7-year-old me, that was spaghetti.

Bento with Pasta and Baby Potatoes

At that time, it boggled my brain to find out that spaghetti was JUST a type of pasta. And that it can be sauced by something other than the spaghetti sauce I knew. It was a pleasant discovery that opened my eyes to a world of possibilities. Now, I actually enjoy pasta tossed in something as simple as olive oil, garlic and lemon juice. That’s what’s pictured here, though sprinkled some parmesan cheese atop the hot pasta, and tossed some lightly steamed, shelled shrimps as well.

Aside from that, I packed along some yummy baby potatoes, cooked in butter and soy sauce, some tomato wedges and a star-shaped hardboiled egg. While this bento is sadly lacking protein (or at least give me my meat!) the savory baby potatoes provided the nice contrast against the very lightly flavored pasta. Good enough for me!

This entry was posted in bento and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Bento with Pasta and Baby Potatoes

1. jokergirl says:

Hey, it has egg and shrimps – that’s enough protein for me!

😉

2. Mrs. G says:

This is making me hungry. I’m ordering food now!

3. Silver Countess says:

I just wish salted duck egg would be moldable using the egg shapers…

@jokergirl
    Correction, make that meat. I keep forgetting that there are other good sources of protein, other than meat. *facepalm*

@Silver Countess
    Hnnn…I think it could be done. Try reboiling your salted duck eggs (while still in its shell) until it’s pliable again, then mold. I know some people do this for hardboiled eggs. Maybe it can be done with salted eggs too? Or it might work also if they’re freshly hardboiled salted eggs, like from homemade salted eggs?

@healthandfitnessgeek.com, Mrs. G, Raymund
    It was! :)

5. Pingback: Interesting ways to present your pasta (Bento) | The Pasta Sampler

6. Aubrey says:

May I know your recipe for the baby potatoes cooked in butter and soy sauce? It seems delish and I’m really curious. :)

Hi Aubrey! Sorry for the late rep. Let me email you instead. :)

Reposting my email to you here, for the benefit of people who might be interested too:

I don’t have a set recipe for the baby potatoes, but this is roughly what i do:

– Wash and scrub the baby potatoes well
      – Boil in water until done
      – Slice in the middle. You can choose to skip this part if you want to keep them whole. I slice because I like some crispy bits :)
      – Melt butter in a pan. Add minced garlic until almost brown but not quite.
      – Add potatoes and let it fry up a bit.
      – Finish with soy sauce, then take off the heat.

I usually go for a 3:1 proportion, so that’s 1 TBSP butter to 1 tsp soy sauce, depending on how many potatoes. For this particular dish, I use Japanese soy sauce like Kikkoman.