Yogurt is one item that proves how one’s palate can evolve. As a kid, I hated yogurt. An unpleasant first encounter with orange yogurt made me avoid it for close to two decades. Eventually, as I was getting more open with food, I decided to give it another go, grabbing a cup of strawberry yogurt. Good choice because I discovered that I loved it and it quickly turned into my favored healthy snack.
With the influx of frozen yogurt specialty shops, the public’s awareness for yogurt is at an all time high. Everyone’s raving about this wonderful new snacking option. I can tell you all about how healthy it is, how it’s low fat and loaded with fruit. Plus all those microorganisms that’s good for the tummy. But let’s face it. My number one priority is still taste, and thankfully, Nestle Fruit Selection Yogurt (NFSY) delivers.
Creamy yet smooth, the texture is absolutely delightful on the tongue. Plus, I love getting bites of fruit in my yogurt. Previously, I had two favorites: Strawberry and Mixed Berry, but with Fruit Selection’s recent slew of new flavors, I stepped out of my comfort zone and grabbed some of them. I absolutely love the new Melon-Nata. I’ve tried most everything: Very Strawberry, Heavenly Mango, Berry Mix Medley, Fruit Basket, Buco Nata Delight, Melon-Nata, Apple-Cinnamon and Raspberry-Apple, and while I favor some flavors over others, I must say they’re all yummy.
Personally, I’m pretty thankful to have a healthier snacking option. I love snacking and while I know going healthy will be a struggle, at least NFSY makes it easier for me to be good. I’m pretty optimistic about it. In fact, I’m confident enough to make a public pledge about how I’ll be good and learn to treat myself better.
My pledge is about making a shift towards a healthier lifestyle. That means making better choices when it comes to food.
1. Eating more fruits and vegetables. Can do! Thankfully, I like fruits and vegetables, so this can be done.
2. Increase my water intake. Currently trying to do so already. This goes hand in hand with decreasing my soda and artificial juice intake. While I still drink natural fruit juice as it helps fill my fruit and veggie quota, lessening soda and sugary juice intake is a relatively easy task. What I do is refrain from ordering drinks when I go for lunch, so that’s automatically 1-2 glasses of water with my meal.
3. Choose healthier, lower fat, lower calorie, lower sugar options. This goes two ways. One is that I try to get the light / low calorie versions of food I like. The other is by directly substituting with something healthier. Think going for a cup of yogurt instead of gorging on ice cream.
4. Eating breakfast. It’s true! Studies show that eating breakfast regularly does wonders for your metabolism, as well as your work performance. While this is one tough task for me since I’m not a breakfast person, recently, I’ve trying to eat some food within an hour of waking up. Even if it’s just a few slices of bread, some breakfast cereal or some taho from the neighborhood’s door-to-door taho man, I try to put something in my tummy.
5. EXERCISE! This is another tough pledge. Must work those hours on the WiiFit. Lord knows I need to get back in shape.
While these may sound like small little gestures, the fact is, they will add up. And I will ultimately, benefit from them. Of course, I’m not stopping with these five pledges. But this looks like a good start. Let’s hope I can stick with them. Being healthier means leading a more enjoyable life that in the long run, will allow me to enjoy more delicious food!
How about joining me in my pledge to be good? Make your own pledge and start making better choices—whether it’s about health or your emotional well-being, as long as it makes a better version of you, I say go for it! Instead of simply making a resolution, share your pledge with the world to inspire others and help them as well. Because for every pledge we make, Nestle Fruit Selections Yogurt will make a contribution to the Healthy Weight Fund. So make your pledge already. We’re all in this together!