Bento Update x 4

I have a large post backlog so here’s a batch update of some simpler lunches I’ve had in the past. These are made of leftovers, take-out food, instant food, and some quick to prepare food—a testament that packing a bento lunch doesn’t have to be a major production.

Bento01

Bento #1 is a simple packed lunch of rice, crispy corned beef, edamame and orange wedges. Adorning the rice is umeboshi (pickled plum). The only thing that needs a bit of care here is the crispy corned beef. I had to watch it continuously so it wouldn’t burn. While cooking that, it was a piece of cake to throw the edamame in some boiling water to cook.

Bento02

Bento #2 is a small sandwich and salad packed lunch. I threw together some iceberg lettuce, diced tomatoes and strips of smoked tanigue—a local smoked fish. To dress it, I packed some soy and vinegar based Japanese dressing, poured ready made from a bottle. The sandwich was a simple shredded kani, cucumber and Japanese mayo affair.

Bento03

Bento #3 has soy-butter beef, rice, leftover tempura and cucumber slices. There’s nothing quicker to prepare than soy-butter beef and with the rest made of leftovers and sliced cucumbers, this lunch was a cinch to put together.

Bento04

Bento #4 takes a bit more effort but is quite quick to put together as well. The chicken lollipops were marinated ahead of time but the actual frying was pretty quick. Finished with a quick wrapping of decorative aluminum foil and packed with rice and tomato wedges made for another quick and easy lunch.

Proof that lunch can be quick and effortless. Convincing enough, yes?

This entry was posted in bento and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Bento Update x 4

1. peachkins says:

simple or not, your bentos always look so elegant!

2. Alexis says:

where do you buy your edamame? i love edamame, i could eat a whole bowlful by myself! 😀

3. Drew says:

I’ll give that Soy Butter Beef a try when I get the chance.

4. Rei says:

OMG!!! Those Chicken lollipops are so adorable!! Where’d you get those cute foils?

5. dot says:

I really like the round bento box.. perfect for my hubby..where can i get one? keep on blogginG!

@peachkins
    Thanks peachkins! 😀

@Alexis
    Aside from Japanese groceries (I’ve seen them stocked at Choto Stop), I was also able to buy frozen edamame from the freezer section of S&R.

@Drew
    Oh, you should. You can’t go wrong with soy sauce and butter. <3

@Rei
    From Daiso in Singapore. ^_^ It's probably available online too.

@dot
    Where are you based? If you're from the Philippines, you can get them at those 88 peso goods booths in local groceries.

7. Jen says:

I love your blog! Its very inspirational. Im trying to learn and become a good cook. I notice that your site is very informational and I visit it almost everyday. I will try your recipes and will cook your stuff one by one, at least the ones I love to eat.

8. ganda ng site mo!! I love your pictures

@Jen
    Thanks Jen! My apologies though for the recent lack of updates. Real life is turning out hectic and I can’t update as much as I’d like. I do hope that won’t stop you from visiting though.

@Mexican Fruit Cake Recipe