Happiness is a Happy Cream Puff

A thing’s name tells a lot about it. In the case of the aptly name Happy Cream Puff, it speaks of a tale of happiness served in rich, creamy mouthfuls. Finally opening a branch at Legaspi Village in Makati, Happy Cream Puff has been the source of many happy afternoons for me. Yes, this is something coming from “Miss-I-don’t-like-sweets-much.”

Happy Cream Puff in Legaspi Village, Makati

Happy Cream Puff is a small pastry shop that specializes in Cream Puffs. Entering the cozy little store, you’re greeted by a display case of all sorts of cream puffs. Caramel-glazed, chocolate-covered, plain, plus a couple of eclairs—they’re made from the same choux pastry dough after all.

Happy Cream Puff Counter

While there’s a wide variety on display, these are actually empty puff pastry cases. The chilled custard cream is piped in only as you order. This sometimes causes the queue to build up, but trust me, it’s worth it to wait.

Freshly-filled Cream Puffs

The simplest pastry you can get at Happy Cream Puff is the plain cream puff. It’s a light, puffy pastry that’s filled with chilled custard cream. Their custard cream uses actual vanilla pods, hence the occasional black flecks you can find in the cream. I like how the custard cream possesses just the right amount of sweetness. It stops a few notches short of being sweet so you keep wanting more in an attempt to hit that sweet spot. That’s always a good thing in my book. Less taste fatigue, more cream puff goodness, letting you enjoy your cream puff from start to finish.

Plain Happy Cream Puff

Closer to the Cream Puffs we’re accustomed to (I grew up with the ones from Manila Pen and Dulcinea) are the caramel-glazed cream puffs. It’s the same cream puff as the plain one, only it’s glazed with a sweet caramel coating that crunches lightly with each bite. Perfect for those who want something sweeter.

Caramel Happy Cream Puff

One of my favorites is the W-Choux (pronounced double chu), a double cream confection. It’s your basic cream puff, stuffed with two layers of cream: the classic custard cream, topped with freshly whipped nama cream. The nama cream has a hint of lemon that adds an extra dimension to the rich cream. Topped with a dusting of confectioner’s sugar, it’s absolutely perfect.

W-Choux Happy Cream Puff

More Cream Puffs on the next page

This entry was posted in restos & eateries. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Happiness is a Happy Cream Puff

1. Chris says:

It looks like you’ve sampled nearly everything there! It’s certainly a nice bookend to a good bento lunch — though I really don’t need an excuse to eat some cream puffs!

2. Shakey says:

Cream puffs! We actually frequent the first branch since our office is just on the other side of Buendia. And the best thing about it is that my boss loves it so much, and orders a lot, so I get to eat for free. 😀

3. surrealistic says:

Ohhh that looks gorgeous *0*

Am craving them now ;_;

4. Mimi says:

WOW! I had no idea that cream puffs could be so glorious!

5. maAkusutipen says:

would like but i am in a diet ToT…

I have read somewhere that a cream puff packs a load of calories equivalent to two full meals (well at least for my diet plan)

hehehe… Err where is this? Is there a branch in the Block? I think I saw one? Will consider giving them as gifts and will vicariously taste them.

6. Bea says:

OMG. i love cream puffs! eclairs and stuff. i can’t get enough of them. and the idea that you can eat them sans the caramel coating is just…gosh, making me hungry (when i’m supposed to go to bed).

7. ooohhh…cream puffs!

8. Tony Lou says:

those look sinful! yum! :o)

@Chris
    Someday, I will. Nyahahahahahahaha~

@Shakey
    Free makes it even better!

@surrealistic and Mimi
    More than gorgeous and glorious, they’re absolutely nyummy!

@maAkusutipen
    I try not to think of diets, but I fear this’ll set you back by a lot of calories :( I don’t know if there’s a branch at The Block though. I hear there’s one at SM Southmall and at Metropolis in Alabang but I haven’t checked them out personally.

@Bea
    Go. Eat. NOW! So worth it.

@mrs lavendula
    Not just any cream puffs, but Cream Puffs that’ll make you happy!

@Tony Lou
    But so worth it.

10. lorn says:

I live in makati and before they had their makati branch, I went to SM southmall just to be able to buy from them! LoL

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah! This post makes me happy already. I love cream puffs!!!

12. MrsMartinez says:

hi approximately how much per cream puff?

13. Oh yes this place! It’s behind my building. I went there on the day/afternoon they opened. It used to be this cafe with wifi thing. I personally love their eclairs and w-choux.

Now I suddenly have the urge to go downstairs and grab some XD

14. faye says:

I also love love Cream Puffs and Happy Cream Puff is one of my favorite, I love their caramel glazed puff and their petite eclairs..

Among my other favorite are “Beard Papa’s” cream puff (medyo expensive nga lang pero yummy) and my fav online bakeshop ‘Cream Puffs Unlimited” (www.creampuffsunlimited.multiply.com), I tried their cream puffs and I really love it!!! it was so so good!!! can’t wait for their next delivery in makati 😀

15. Kc says:

im from alabang. where can i buy cream puff?thanks

There used to be a branch at Metropolis in Alabang, but I’m not sure if it’s still up. Best to call them at the number listed above to find out if it’s still open. I’m sure they’ll be able to let you know about other branches too. Good luck Kc!

16. zodio says:

I was really happy to see this review because i love this place. Not a whole load of people know about it… and I always love introducing my friends to the taste. For me, its impossible to pass by the Happy Cream Puff and not grab a box for take-home. :)