House of Polvoron: Nostalgia in Small Bites

A treat I always enjoyed as a kid was homemade polvoron, a traditional Filipino snack made of toasted flour, powdered milk, butter and sugar. Growing up with my family’s version, I am very particular about how polvoron should be like. In fact, I never eat a certain local bakeshop’s popular polvoron because the texture and taste doesn’t cut it for me. So, I wasn’t expecting much when I received some samples from House of Polvoron, or HoP.

House of Polvoron 02

So, you can just imagine what a pleasant surprise it was for me to discover that their polvoron, while commercial, is made much like the traditional treat I grew up with. HOP polvoron has a fine, silky texture held together by a blend of butter and margarine. Definitely a far cry from some commercial brands which tend to be coarse and gritty.

House of Polvoron 03

The sample they sent was the Pinipig variant. Bits of crisp toasted pinipig is mixed in, adding a delightful contrast in texture to the actual polvoron. Remember to keep them in an airtight container afterward though, as the pinipig tends to lose its crispness. HOP is just a little bit sweet for me, but that’s a personal preference issue. Some friends who tried it like it just the way it is. Even if it’s not quite perfect for me, I can’t really complain as I demolished the box before I had the chance to take photos, hence the need to buy some more, for photography purposes. And for nomnoming purposes of course.

House of Polvoron 01

HOP is available in classic, pinipig, pili, cashew and cookies and cream. Of the two I tried, classic and pinipig, I prefer pinipig but not by a wide margin since the classic is also yummy. HOP is a pleasant discovery that brought me much nostalgia. In fact, I’m looking forward to having free time to try my hand at making polvoron again. But in the meantime, I’ll be happily stocking up on these.

Thanks to Bless and House of Polvoron for the nyummy samples. <3

This entry was posted in food spotlight. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to House of Polvoron: Nostalgia in Small Bites

1. Suzanne says:

I agree with the opinion on the local bakeshop’s polvoron texture. I find that I prefer silky polvorons, so I’m going to try this. Thanks for the heads up!

2. Shakey says:

I like their Classic and Cookies and Cream polvorons. :)

I’ve eaten hundreds already but I still can’t perfect my “whistling while eating polvoron” skill.

3. Ichiro Ino says:

I still love the classic.

I don’t like some of the crunchy ones, my tooth(?) get’s tickled (I can’t explain what I feel) and it’s very disturbing, I can’t stand it, maybe I’m just sensitive.

Anyway, let’s try whistling while eating, wit wi wiw~

4. aLine says:

The pinipig is the best

5. The Envoy says:

Looks interesting. I wonder if I’ll ever get a chance to try.

6. Tony Lou says:

haba birdie kitchen cow! hehe! (i don’t know if i could post your real name.) i hope you have more wonderful food adventures. take care and God bless! :o)

7. mad about food says:

for me, it’s just HOP or nothing. i love the pili polvoron! :)

@Suzanne
    Hahahaha, you can tell what brand I’m talking about no?

@Shakey
    The pinipig and classic are the only ones I’ve tried. Liked them both. I’ll prolly try buying an assorted pack so I can try the others without making a major commitment to eating a whole box 😛

And no, I can’t whistle, with or without polvoron, hwehwehwe.

@Ichiro Ino
    Nah, I can understand what you mean. Half of the enjoyment when eating polvoron is with the texture so I’m sure you’re not the only one who likes the classic polvoron.

@aLine
    I love it too!

@The Envoy
    I hope you do. It’s pretty nyummy and very unique.

@TonyLou
    Thankies! 😀 😀 😀

@mad about food
    I haven’t tried that yet. Sige, I’ll try to grab an assorted box minsan so I can taste and compare everything 😀

9. theresa says:

where can i buy them? i’m in california and was wondering if hop is available here or if they export? thanks

I know they export but I’m not sure which states they cover. Though I’d imagine polvoron would be available in CA, seeing how many Filipinos live there. I suggest your nearest Filipino grocery, but if you can’t find any, I can send you their email address. Maybe they can ship to you directly?

10. Marie says: