Bento from the Ghost of Lunches Past

I miss preparing bento. These past couple weeks, I haven’t had the time and energy to get up and prepare a packed lunch, so I’ve been subsisting on store-bought ones. Still, rummaging through my backlogged post pile (pile is an understatement), I found two lunches that have yet to be posted, so I’m sharing one now.

Cute Bento

I ate this weeks and weeks ago, but I’m sure you guys won’t mind looking at it now because how can you not want to see eggs with eyes? And octodogs! I know things with faces go well with my readers, so, there. Is there a smile on your face already?

I’d like to say this was a light lunch since half of it was a salad, but let’s face it. Those are two onigiri, made of probably a cup of rice? Stuffed in those heart-shaped onigiri (molder compliments of Daiso Singapore) are strips of smoked salmon and cream cheese. I used vinegared rice instead of normal rice since I like the light acidity it adds. The salad is mostly romaine and smoked salmon (nothing else in the fridge), to be dressed with a balsamic vinaigrette. On the side are hardboiled quail eggs (smiling with their nori faces) and octodogs with cheese and nori eyes.

Times like these when I’m writing posts for photos taken (and food eaten) ages ago, I’m always hit with a dose of nostalgia—and hunger. Madly craving for some smoked salmon right now. At least you guys know I’m suffering food cravings with the bunch of you, too.

This entry was posted in bento. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Bento from the Ghost of Lunches Past

1. Sarah says:

Darn it, you just made me hungry again. Salmon+cream cheese onigiri=WIN!!!!

Great lunch, kao! I LURVE the colors. Thanks for posting this even though it’s an old lunch!

2. Amaaris says:

Oh this one is cute. And so colourful that it makes me smile in the early morning! Like the eggs and the octodog. I´m very busy, too..I think we all are during the end of the year..so never mind and keep it up!

3. Lyndsey says:

I just finished lunch and now I want to eat eggs with eyes and smoked salmon:) What a cute colorful lunch!

4. Gene says:

So good! Your blog post always makes me hungry. I miss onigiri. Any suggestion on where to buy it from restaurants? I don’t have a kitchen all to myself and I’m dying to have this.

5. a very cute bento box! =) i know what you mean about getting behind on tasks these days! sometimes you feel like there’s not enough hours in the day!

enjoy the rest of the holiday season!

Thanks everyone! Hope the holidays are treating you well. At least its just another day before vacation begins!

@Gene
    Not sure which resto has good ones but most of the restaurants at Little Tokyo have it. It’s mostly the ones owned and run by Japanese expats where I encounter onigiri, unlike Filipino or internationally owned chains.

7. The Envoy says:

This makes me hungry….very hungwy.

8. marvin says:

parang ayaw ko kainin, kawawa kc ung hotdog and egg. para silang may buhay…

@The Envoy
    *pat pat* There there.

@marvin
    Isipin mo na lang, they served their purpose in life :)

10. hapa bento says:

Hi what an adorable bento! The eyes on your octo-dogs are making me smile! I enjoy seeing all of your bento boxes and your lovely blog is very inviting.

Happy New Year and I look forward to reading more about your bento box lunches.

11. nick says:

Too beautiful to eat! Your bento box made me smile.

@hapa bento and Nick
    Thank you so much, you both! I’m hoping to stick to my resolution and go back to preparing bento lunches. Wish me luck!

13. hazel says:

i accidentally stumbled upon your site and find it very interesting.although, i still do not understand what happens with the bentos that you make. they are all very nice and they make me smile. are they all for personal eating only? anyway , you are very good and imaginative.

They’re for eating 😀 They’re real packed lunches I bring with me to work. :) Glad to hear they put a smile on your face.

• hazel says:

my eleven year old daughter is wondering how you make your octodogs. i showed her your site and she enjoys looking at your bento lunches.