Eating more of Singapore Part 2 of 2

Despite the earlier trip, December had me back in Singapore. Ready to do all the food things I missed out on in October (find Bickford’s Sarsaparilla, eat at Din Tai Fung), I found it a bit funny that my first meal was at Mc Donald’s.

McDonalds Crispy Chicken Sandwich

Manila’s Mc Chicken cannot hold a candle to this yummy sammy. And yes, McD’s Philippines, don’t think I didn’t notice that your chicken patties are waaaaay smaller now.

Yes, after basking mostly in Singaporean food during my previous trips, I actually found myself in a fastfood chain that’s all over Manila. Of course, after biting into their Spicy Chicken Sandwich, I readily ate my words. It was yummy! Flavorful, crisp on the outside, juicy on the inside—why can’t McD’s here do fastfood sandwiches as good as this?

McDonalds Fries

A fry dipped in the chili-garlic sauce, as modeled by my “professional hand model” friend.

I also found it interesting that aside from the usual ketchup dispensers, they had a dispenser for chili-garlic sauce as well. A bit redder than the usual tomato ketchup, their spicy sauce packed a wallop. If that’s not enough, they also distributed packets of nori flavoring, a powder you can sprinkle over your fries for added flavor. Both were quite good. It definitely shakes up the usual french fry-tomato dynamic.

A tale of soup in my dumplings and a very long wait

We were greeted by a large number of waiting people outside Taiwanese restaurant chain Din Tai Fung, all waiting to grab a table for dinner. Determined to eat their Xiao Long Pao, we took a number, placed our order, then caught up with each others’ lives as we waited.

Hot and Sour Soup

Hot, sour and soupy.

A gajillion stories later, our table was finally ready. Thankfully, we didn’t have to wait long for our food. A large bowl of Hot and Sour soup was served almost immediately. Chunky, gooey, steamy hot and sour goodness. Good way to start the meal.

Prawn Pancakes

The Rabbit does not lie. Prawn Pancakes score two rabbit ears up.

After that, they brought out a plate of what my friend Rabbit identified as her newest addiction, Prawn Pancake. Now Rabbit is addicted to anything shrimp, so I thought it was just her shrimp love acting up. It wasn’t much to look at, but biting into the pancake was a pleasant surprise. Crisp on the outside, moist, flavorful, firm and fleshy on the inside. It mimics the feeling of biting into whole shrimp, rather than minced ones as shrimp cakes tend to feel like.

Porkchop Rice

Pork Chops! On rice! Can’t go wrong with that.

Soon, plate after plate of food was coming to our table. Next up was a plate of Pork Chop Rice. A dish of fried rice piled on top with a whole porkchop, cut into slices. Deliciously tender and quite filling, yes. But honestly, I was waiting for the star of the evening, which was…

Xiao Long Pao

In the ancient times, Xiao Long Pao was an assassination tool, given as innocent gifts to warring tribes. One bite and the soup spurts, burning the enemy’s mouth.

Xiao Long Pao! A very interesting dumpling filled with meat and soup, it never fails to fascinate because, well, it’s filled with soup. SOUP! In a dumpling! It’s a very novel experience, biting into resilient, stretchy dough and being rewarded with a tasty soup. And occasionally, a burnt tongue if you’re too eager. Try it with the black vinegar and ginger for added layers of flavor.

Shimp Xiao Long Pao

The Rabbit likes her shrimp. And yes, I agree. The shrimp version is really really pretty.

As if the Xiao Long Pao wasn’t enough, we had to get Xiao Long Pao with shrimp too. It’s yummy too, but I prefer the plain one because it’s easier to eat. Besides, I’m happily content with the soup inside the dumpling so no need for extras, even if it is shrimp. But I imagine shrimp lovers will not have it any other way.

Was Din Tai Fung worth the way? If only for the Xiao Long Pao, yes. The food is generally good but I can eat trays of the lovely soup dumplings all day long. Soup has never been this fascinating. Nor dangerous.

Read more on the next page:
Food Court Hopping, Magical Turkish Ice Cream, Ginger Beer and Takoyaki!

This entry was posted in food spotlight, food trips, restos & eateries and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Eating more of Singapore Part 2 of 2

1. kate says:

spicy chicken sandwich is my fave too 😀 btw, great shots! The shrimp version looks really pretty and yummy!

2. Carlos says:

When do I get to go with you to eat all these food?!? Surely you’ll need help! I want to learn to take nice food photos as well!

3. frannywanny says:

i died went i saw those siao long paos droooolllllllllll grrrr

4. dementedchris says:

Parang alien talaga yung Shrimp Xiao Long Pao! Pang… anime.

(Is it just me or does the field below my email addy ask for my URI?)

5. peachkins says:

My mouth is watering from this post!!!

6. khursten says:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH~~~!!! ION’S TAKOYAKI! *A*) MOST GLORIOUS!!

7. Mila says:

I demolished a whole steamer of xiao long bao in Din tai fung in Beijing over the new year, no burnt tongue to show for it, but delicious. Unfortunately, it’s hard to find good xlb in China sometimes. A friend also introduced me to their pork chop (no rice with ours, but soooooo tasty).

8. wow that prawn pancake looks crispy and delicious!!!

@kate
    Agree with you so much! But it has to be as good as the one in SG.

@Carlos
    If it’s your treat, tara na! 😛

@frannywanny
    I want some now. I’ve been craving madly these past few days. May Xiao Long Pao sa Spiral buffet but you have to wait 15 minutes. By the time it was ready, busog na ako.

@Chris
    Oo nga. Parang pang… anime nga. (Yes, it asks for a URI. I have no idea what it means.)

@peachkins
    You and me both! The pitfalls of food blogging. You remember what you eat…after it’s gone. :(

@khursten
    And to think I almost missed it. Thank goodness Cla reminded me.

@Mila
    Wow, authentic! I’d love to do that too, enjoy a steamer for myself. Kahit hindi Beijing—even some from Eatwell would make me happy.

@mrs lavendula
    Oooooh it was. I actually ate more than I should (I monitor my shellfish intake). But it was all good.

10. ajienaissant says:

Din Tai Fung! is love! They always have ridiculous waiting lines but so worth it. Ive eaten na in their Taipei and HK restos. Good to know they have one in SG!

11. Marie says:

the foods looks so tempting 😀

12. Pingback: Hana scores a homerun with their new menu options | Mangtaz

13. Pingback: Note from the Lion city | justwandering.org

14. It’s really a nice and helpful piece of info. I am happy that you simply shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

15. Pingback: Singapore’s take on street ice cream | bento, restos & recipes at http://www.kitchencow.com

16. Pingback: Tasting Taipei: Eating at MOS Burger, Taipei 101 and Saizeriya (Part 2 of a Series) | bento, restos & recipes at http://www.kitchencow.com

17. Pingback: Tasting Taipei: Sushi Take-Out, Pon de Rings, Din Tai Fung & Big Tom’s (Last of Four Parts) | bento, restos & recipes at http://www.kitchencow.com

18. Pingback: Shi Lin: Drink a Dumpling and other Taiwanese Treats | bento, restos & recipes at http://www.kitchencow.com

19. a says:

It is not my first time to pay a visit this website, i am browsing this site
    dailly and get nice facts from here every day.