Crispy Adobo Flakes Bento

Lately, my ability to pack lunch for work has been overpowered by the need to sleep and laziness. You can probably tell by the absence of bento posts here. But I do have one today, featuring ready-to-cook adobo flakes.

Crispy Adobo Flakes Bento

Despite looking like a busy, fussy lunch, this is another one of those deceptively quick bentos. Pan-frying the ready-to-cook adobo (Purefoods Mom’s Kitchen) took 10 minutes tops. While it was frying, I was putting the other things together—like sticking the rice in the microwave and boiling water for the green beans. Of course, I kept running back to frying pan to make sure it doesn’t burn either. But it’s relatively manageable when you’re in a small kitchen.

Don’t believe me when I say it’s a quick fix lunch? The work involved for the morning prep can be easy, especially if you prepared the night before. Here’s what I did:

1. Fry the adobo flakes from a ready-to-cook pack. While this particular brand can be cooked frozen, it cooks faster when defrosted so I moved the pack from the freezer to the fridge the night before. Same thing applies when you’re using homemade adobo flakes. Just make sure to flake it the night before, so the only thing you have to do in the morning is to fry.
  2. Reheated leftover rice. In my case, they’re pre-measured balls of frozen rice. I just unwrap and nuke in the microwave for a minute or two. No defrosting involved—doing so has a tendency to dry the rice out.
  3. Sliced the hardboiled egg in two. The boiling and molding, I took care of the night before.
  4. Boiled the green beans. After I took the beans out of the water, I kept it boiling so I could—
  5. cook the fancy fishball (see stripey orange thing) as well.
  6. Slice a tomato into wedges.
  7. Put it all together, then stick an umeboshi on the rice, mostly to add color.

Last step would be to close the box, making sure it’s sealed relatively tight. Only thing you’ll have to worry about, after that, is how you can manage to wait until lunchtime comes.

This entry was posted in bento. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Crispy Adobo Flakes Bento

1. Brian Asis says:

“Fancy Orange Thing” that made me laugh 😀 The bento itself looks kawaii 😀

2. lloyda says:

i’m so curious on how you molded your egg into a star shape. can you share a link or teach us how to do that? :)

@Brian
    It does look more like candy or a joke toy no? Still, it’s pretty tasty. I love putting it in soup stock for a quick, hot meal.

@lloyda
    I have a special mold for that. You can buy them from Japanese 100-yen stores (think Daiso or Saizen). Simply boil the egg, peel while still hot, slip in the mold and either submerge in cold water or stick in the fridge.

4. Marie says:

i would definitely enjoy this pack lunch , yum yum yum

5. mylifejoys says:

Any tips about egg molding? When I do this, the egg breaks… even if the mold is big or just right…

@Marie
    Yum is right!

@mylifejoys
    When does the egg break? When you slip it inside the mold? Hmmm…usually I don’t have problems if the size is right. Mebbe you can share more details so we can figure it out?

Usually, I bring my eggs to a boil (in vinegared water, that way even if it cracks, the white won’t spill out). After it boils I turn off the heat then leave it covered for a couple of minutes to let it cook fully. I peel it then stick inside the mold while still hot then place it in the freezer for a couple of minutes to let it set. Not too long to make it freeze, just enough to make the shape set. You can also dip it in really cold water but I find sticking it in the freezer easier.

7. If I would have that for lunch, I’d be very glad. It looks really yummy. Too bad I have no time to prepare a bento in the morning.

Soshite, tamago wa kawaii desu. :)

Thanks Bryan! It was. I wish I could have it more often too, but like you, it’s a struggle getting up to prepare food in the mornings. *cries*

8. chiqui says:

now i know what i’m going to do with my leftover adobo.