Krispy Kreme Bacon Cheeseburgers : Don’t dismiss it ’til you’ve eaten it

Mixed reactions ranging from desire to disgust are usual when we’re talking about the Luther Burger. Named after singer Luther Vandross, this controversial sandwich is a Bacon Cheeseburger with doughnuts, typically Krispy Kremes in place of a bun.

Krispy Kreme Burger02

Be still my heart!

One of the most popular anecdotes about the Luther Burger aka Krispy Kreme Bacon Cheeseburger comes from Google HQ. It appears that they served it to celebrate the birthday of one of their cafeteria heads. Despite the icky, sticky, yummy, disgusting, savory, greasy- looking image, it was pronounced yummy.

Of course, it got me curious. And since no one sells it here (at least none that I know of), I could think of only one solution. Make one myself!

Step 1 was to procure a box of Krispy Kremes. That in itself was a struggle. Either I’d forget or have to do overtime. One time I did remember, they ran out of Original Glazed ones. I got lucky one Friday evening and remembered to buy a box. It went to the fridge when I got home, to make handling the doughnuts easier.

The next morning was busy. I made hamburger patties from scratch. I cooked some Bacon Ham (from Swiss Gourmet), especially chosen because they were circular in shape, until crisp. Grated some Monterey Jack Cheese. Sliced the refrigerated doughnuts, then nuked them for a couple of seconds in the microwave to make them wonderfully pillowy again.

Krispy Kreme Burger01

One more photo, just because.

Half a hot doughnut, bacon, burger, cheese then the other half of the doughnut. Rush to take pictures, then eat before it gets cold. Hngsktjeshk;skaue! I confess, my burger patty wasn’t as good as it could’ve been. But still, it was gooooood. The sweetness of the doughnut was a perfect foil for the strong savory flavor of the burger and bacon. The cheese added a pleasant creaminess. Next time, I’d like to try adding some cheddar as well, to add a sharper bite. Be ready to use a fork and knife though, it’s a bit difficult eating it with your hands because the doughnuts are too soft and sticky.

The Krispy Kreme Bacon Cheeseburger is a food experience you need to go through. Maybe not repeatedly—for love of your heart—but still, once in a while, food that feeds your imagination can’t be that bad.

This entry was posted in food spotlight and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Krispy Kreme Bacon Cheeseburgers : Don’t dismiss it ’til you’ve eaten it

1. Leki says:

I remain a skeptic but man, that pic looks good. But if they do sell them here, I think I’ll try it, too. It’s too weird for me not to. xD

2. surrealistic says:

Damn. 😮

Krispy Kremes are too sweet for me. Which is odd, considering I have a sweet tooth. I don’t think we have those down here, it’s just the donuts and shakes I think. :3

3. Bea says:

I actually felt my arteries complain…

4. peachkins says:

I will have to make a go at this before I start my diet…

5. hungrynez says:

don’t have krispy kreme in our province yet. but every time we go to manila, we make sure we take a box of donuts back home. and this bacon cheeseburger will surely not be missed.

6. FFichiban says:

These are pure awesomeness (and fatness) and I like how u omitted all the unnecessary ingredients hee hee

7. ksolaris says:

OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM!!!!! <3 <3

8. ness says:

Very tempting. I might give it a try even though I find krispy kreme too sweet.
    btw, where do you buy your monterey jack cheese? thanks. :)

Okay folks, get this. I heard there’s a cafe in Makati that sells this, though with a sunny side-up egg added. From Manila Boy’s blog:

@surrealistic
    Oh, it’s not really on the menu of Krispy Kreme. It’s just something I whipped up after seeing all those photos of Luther Burgers online.

@ness
    I buy mine from S&R but other supermarkets have it too. I remember Land O’ Lakes has bars of it :)

10. ziggy says:

this is just so wrong…. this is overkill… i want one.

11. Joyceee says:

at first i thought they’re really selling it there in the Philippines! haha

well, first impression is that i will never have my KK OG with a bacon. But your post made me think otherwise! haha

ooooh, how i miss KK!

12. Pancho (Offbeat Cafe) says:

We have our own version of this in Offbeat Cafe. Swing by and try it one of these days. :)

1406 Mervin 2000 bldg., Vito Cruz Extension, corner Balagtas St., Makati City

@ziggy
    Exactly my reaction the first time I heard of it as well.

@Joyceee
    Makes you wish you were back here no? 😛

@Pancho
    Yes! I heard about your version from Spanky. We (my officemates and I) have been meaning to drop by to try it out but our current workload is a tad too demanding. Hopefully though, we’re able to make our way to your cafe soon :)

14. Pancho (Offbeat Cafe) says:

Hope to see you soon. :-) Sana for dinner para you can appreciate the place more.

Crossing my fingers! Sana nga we can go soon. :)

16. Pingback: Cast Iron, Coleslaw and the Krispy Kreme Cheeseburger | crunchy parenting

17. Pingback: DIY Krispy Kreme French Toast | bento, restos & recipes at http://www.kitchencow.com