Bento Shopping at Saizen (Daiso Philippines)

I’ve been meaning to write about Saizen for ages, but their no photography policy kept me away. Fortunately, I managed to secure an invite to one of their blogger events so I was finally able to snap away. So, if you’ve ever wondered where I get my bento stuff, wonder no more. Around half of my bento boxes, tools and accessories are from Saizen and from its mother chain Daiso.

01 Saizen Trinoma

To clear up the confusion, the Daiso branches in the Philippines aren’t really affiliated with Daiso Japan. They’re actually part of Japan Home Center, a Hong Kong-based chain that’s patterned after Japanese 100-yen stores. When Daiso Japan finally came here, they couldn’t use the name since it was already taken. So, they set up shop as Saizen.

Despite the name change, nothing’s different. The items stocked at overseas branches (Daiso SG, HK and Macau) are the same items stocked at Saizen here. So, yes. You can get your bento shopping fill without going overseas. Just head off to Robinson’s Galleria in Ortigas or Trinoma in QC.

But in the meantime, join me on a virtual shopping tour of bento related products!

02 Bento Boxes
Your most basic bento item–the lunch box–comes in all shapes and sizes at Saizen. And if you think bento is only for women and kids, check out their selection of Men-style boxes. Even the most manly men will not be afraid of packing lunch with these.

03 Storage Boxes
Lots of leftovers? Like cooking in advance? Choose from a wide selection of food storage boxes that store amounts small enough for a single helping.

04 Chopsticks
Aside from your boxes, it’s also helpful to have a set of utensils that’s devoted for packing lunch. There’s a variety of plain and cute chopsticks, spoons and forks available at Saizen. I like the ones that come with their own carrying cases, for sanitary reasons.

05 Disposables
Packing bento for people who can’t be expected to return your boxes? Disposable set-ups are also sold here, complete with chopsticks and baran. Of course, it’s still better to use reusable when you can–happier earth!

06 Baran
Not all bento boxes come with their own partitions. And even when they do, sometimes, you just want to separate them further. This is where Baran, or those fake grass things you see in sushi come in. Aside from keeping your food separate, I hear some brands also have anti-microbial properties. They’re available in the traditional fake grass form and also in cuter, colorful versions.

07 Disposable Cups
If you want more definite partitions, you may want to consider bento liners instead. These are like muffin cups, only they come in a variety of shapes and sizes.

08 Silicon Cups
If you’d like to be friendlier to the environment, reusable bento cups are also available, usually in plastic or silicone. These reusable cups also handle wet / saucy items better.

09 Picks
Another thing I like having handy is a set of cocktail picks. These cute little things add instant cute and color to your food. Plus, it makes handling certain items easier, especially for little fingers.

10 Nori Punch
Like adding details to your food? Nori punchers come in handy. The ones I found at Saizen were a bit basic, none of those sets that punch out facial details, but nevertheless, these basic shapes still come handy for instant decorating.

This entry was posted in food shopping, sponsored events and features and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Bento Shopping at Saizen (Daiso Philippines)

1. Rui says:

I buy a lot of bento supplies at Daiso but I don’t use them, most of them are just too cute! Great to know there’s Saizen in the Philippines!

2. Leki says:

Do you know, Saizen is set to open in Robinsons Parañaque soon! I’m excited! 😀 I rarely go to Galleria and Trinoma is too far!

3. ziggy says:

Hi Kao, do they also sell japanese ingredients?

@Rui
    The Daiso there is insane! I remember I went totally nuts, spending a couple of hundred SG first time I set foot there.

@Leki
    Booo! Robinsons Paranaque is too far from me. It’s the one near Raya Gardens right? I wish they’d set up shop at ATC or something.

@peachkins
    Shop there, we must! Although I’m sure your wallet cries too.

@ziggy
    Yes! But it’s just a shelf or two of premade sauces. If you’re looking for raw ingredients and other mixes, still best to visit your friendly neighborhood J-grocery.

5. Leki says:

It’s the one near tropical hut, conti’s and ruins 😀 It’s nearer than rob galle and trinoma at least xD

6. Yay! Will expect more bento posts from you now, since you went shopping. Haha! I love Saizen. Looks like they improved their stocks. More bento boxes to choose from. Yay!

7. Kat says:

I never knew that Saizen had a “no photo” policy (although on a personal level, I try not to take pictures in stores etc, just to be safe hehe). Also, I think Ali Mall in Cubao has a Saizen too, but I haven’t been there.

Looks like I’ll be heading to Saizen this weekend to stock up on bento stuff. :)

@Leki
    Ang lapit nun! Please let me know when it opens. *hugs*

@Bea
    Hay, I wish. I’m hoping to get back on track with life and stuff, pero baka matagal pa yun. *sigh*

@Kat
    They never told me off but they have small signs near the entrance. I have been told off at Japan Home Center / Daiso though. Tried asking for permission pero never ako pinayagan so I guess it stuck with me.

9. abby says:

thank you for posting this! :) we’re homebound in december and i can’t wait to go to saizen to stock up on bento supplies for my son and myself!

ps: any idea where their store in Trinoma’s located?
    pps: namiss ko ang blog mo!

It’s inside True Value, somewhere along the ground floor.

PS.
    Namimiss ko na rin mag blog! Ang dami kasing nangyayari sa buhay, but hopefully, I can get back on track this weekend. 😀 My backlog is sooooooo big!

11. I love the pictures. I want those cocktail picks for my Christmas dinner/ noche buena. It will look good on some of the finger food.

@PinoyLifestyle
    Great idea! Your pica-pica will definitely look unique.

13. Token says:

Thanks for sharing all the great photos! Daiso is so amazing! <3 I wish we had one near us ;_;

14. cyferredrose says:

this is a very handy guide to what is available int he philippines! i have gone on three shopping sprees there and gotten all i need for bento making. I wish there was a store guide like this around before i went and bought it – it would have been very helpful!

@Token
    They are! I’m happy we finally have one here. Years ago, I’d include it in my things to do when flying to other countries. Now I don’t have to :)

@cyferredrose
    But it’s also fun to poke around the store and look around yourself. I’m sure you had fun doing that too :)

16. cyferredrose says:

yes, i end up spending more than i had in mind too! haha.
    Japan home is also nice to look at now and then – i got a really nice porcelain set. If you go to saizen at Robinsons Edsa they are near each other. New hatchin is more on the ingredients side of things, but i got a japanese pickle maker there for around 200-300 PHP.

I havent confirmed it yet, but i also heard of a japanese surplus store in paranaque that is mostly deserted, but this is still a rumor.

@cyferredrose
    Paranaque??? *hmmm*

New Hatchin is awesome! It’s just unfortunate that I rarely go there now, since we moved offices. Oh well :(

18. Tara says:

Hi Kao,

This is the reason why I stopped asking you where to buy those bento stuff. I found them. hahaha. I will be forever grateful to your kindness on buying my first ever bento accessories and sending them here at the office.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Heaven no? I’m happy nahanap mo s’ya. There’s untold joy in shopping for your own goods.

20. Laura says:

thanks to your tips, I had fun browsing and shopping at every Daiso / Japan Home Center branch I checked out on my recent trip to Manila…found and bought a few items I couldn’t resist. I wanted to get the egg molds but unfortunately the branches I went to didn’t carry them…I will the store!

Their stocks are really seasonal, unfortunately. I’ll keep an eye out for egg molds. If I find some, I’ll try to get some for you. Will just email if that happens :)

22. Pingback: Black, White and Gold | Cheap + Chic = Fasyon!

23. kimy says:

just til nw did i realize that its different from japan homes ill try to look at it bec im desperate to find nori cutters, im happy ive found your site (subcribed!) :)

Both Saizen and Japan Home stock nori cutters from time to time, so it’s best to check them both, though I’ve spotted them more often at Daiso/Saizen than Japan Home. Good luck finding them, Kimy!

24. Kaye Catral says:

Hey Kaoko, any new places where we can find bento tools? Saizen doesn’t stock too much, they’re always out of stock! Or maybe everyone’s into bento and buying them all up!

I need more barans!

I have shitloads of baran here at home, yes, panic buying from overseas much? Or let me know if there’s anything you need, the Saizen in Cavite isn’t as well-known, so I can still score fab bento stuff there. 😀 (Hit me up via the contact page or via FB message :D)

25. Mau says:

Waaaaa! I tried searching for it in Daizo Cebu but to no avail. :C Waaaaa!!! I want to go there!

26. Marian says:

Was looking for tips on the best places to buy bento stuff from and stumbled upon your blog. It took me a while before I realized Kitchen Cow = Chrissie Peria. =D

27. marie says:

where in cavite was saizen exactly located im from indang cavite