Munggo with Milk

Whenever I mention that my Lola used to serve us munggo with milk and sugar, I get weird glances. Ginisang munggo (sauteed mung beans) is practically the national comfort soup. There’s something oddly soothing about the mushy beans, flavored with pork, shrimp or tinapa, then finished with ampalaya leaves for a hint of bitterness. So popular is this dish that people don’t stop to consider other preparations, least of all, a sweet one. A surprising thing, considering how popular hopiang munggo is.

Mung Beans with Milk

Have you ever tried munggo with milk?

Not in our house though. While other kids were enjoying cereal with milk–Jack n’ Jill, since Kellogg’s was too PX then–my Lola would boil extra portions of munggo for her ginisang munggo. After the beans were sufficiently softened for sauteing, she’d set aside some cups for us kids. She’d refrigerate it, mix it with powdered milk, sugar and a little water. Instant healthy merienda! Picky eater that I was as a kid, this was the only way she could make me eat munggo because like most kids, I hated ginisang munggo.

Mung Beans with Milk

Boiled munggo, milk and muscovado sugar

Funny how this childhood ploy still works with me today. There is just something so simple about munggo mixed with milk that satisfies. Not to mention it’s almost too easy to make. You can follow the procedures below, or if you’re cooking ginisang munggo, simply boil more munggo than you need. Then, set aside some of the boiled beans for this. If you’ve never heard of this before, I’m betting you’ll be thanking me for the idea later. Don’t. Thank my Lola instead.

Mung Beans with Milk

Or you can always just serve everything on the table and have everyone DIY their own.

Munggo with Milk
v. 2 November 2011

Ingredients

• Mung beans
  • Water
  • Fresh milk, chilled
  • Sugar
  1. Place your mung beans in a heavy pot. Add water, around 3 to 4 times your beans. Bring to boil, then simmer until soft—around an hour or so. Check occasionally to make sure the water doesn’t dry out.
  2. Drain then cool until it reaches room temperature. Refrigerate.
  3. Spoon out a few heaping tablespoons in a deep bowl. More if you’re hungry.
  4. Pour in some chilled milk.
  5. Add a little sugar, tasting as you go along. Don’t make it too sweet.
  6. Grab your bowl, snuggle up on the sofa with a book or with the tv, then enjoy.
This entry was posted in recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Munggo with Milk

1. Eileen says:

My Lola used to make this for me too. I’ve always hated ginisang munggo, making munggo with milk was the only way she was able to convince me to eat munggo. I have not had this in years, thanks for the recipe I am going to make this for me and the kids. :)

2. Khursten says:

For a while I was weirded out until the idea that it’s like an with milk, then it kinda sounds all right. Meron din mga minatamis na munggo. 😀 Or like those in halo-halo! :3 yummm~~

3. Rhea says:

One of my lolas does the exact same thing! I haven’t had it for years though. I think I’ll ask my mom to buy extra munggo sometime soon :p

4. even as a child i loved monggo guisado — kinda surprised to hear that i am in the minority ^^;; also in the minority with monggo as dessert — in hopia or dry-toasted and added to palitaw, i never liked sweetened monggo 😐 i’d take the savory kind any day of the week <3

5. Mary says:

Honestly, just the title of this post made me feel skeptical at first. But thinking about it, there are a lot of similar dishes which use beans (except that they’re almost always the sweet variety of beans). It’s an interesting concept though, and I’m going to make a mental note of it in my mind. :)

I know right? I’d probably be skeptical of the idea too, if only my grandmother didn’t feed it to me as a kid. During that time, her word was law. Only now, as a grown-up, do I realize how weird it can sound.

6. Rocky Yballe says:

Whenever my mom made munggo with fish, she always reserved a bowl of tenderized munggo so we could have it with milk and sugar.

7. Marisa says:

Hey, got to share how we loved this munggo and milk thing back when we were kids. Nanay almost always had very little left of the munggo for her ginisa because my siblings and I would attack her caserola as soon as the munggo was boiled. We liked it warm like champorado. We are here in the US now; I will remind my sisters how we enjoyed it and
    perhaps try it again one day. What will my nieces and nephew think?

I hope you manage to convince them; it will be a wonderful eye-opener, IMO. My Lola used to feed my Fil-Am cousin Filipino food all the time. Though I don’t think she really know what’s in ‘Chocolate Stew’ aka dinuguan. 😛

8. Angel Rustia-Cruz says:

I think all Lolas know this trick ^_^ this is one of my comfort food as well. I always look forward when I smell that my lola’s cooking ginisang munggo, I know that I’ll have milky sweet munggo for merienda later on. Will definitely use the same trick once my baby is old enough to eat this. LoL.

9. kimi says:

i love to hear a lot does this too.. experiencing weird glances as well. just had a bowl of munggo with milk and sugar. so then i searched if others do this too and stumbled upon this. my husband does not know this and are one of those who thinks it weird making it like what you do to champorado. but i have a question, where does this originate? my mom from negros does not know this and i am from cavite. this is where she first saw munggo with milk and sugar… is it really that weird? but definitely yummy ^_^

10. Ssilb says:

Omg my Lola does this too for us. Huhu i miss her so much. Bless you my Lola and thanks for this blog as well ^_^