What’s the fuss with Speculoos Cookies?

“Crisp, caramelized, cinnamon-spiced Belgian cookies,” is how the box describes Speculoos, the trendy cookie from Trader Joe’s that sparked the whole Cookie Butter craze.

Speculoos Cookies

Best enjoyed with tea—sipped with your pinky up, of course.

You’d think that Speculoos is a new product, considering how it just boomed into the market last year, but it’s actually a really old traditional cookie. This Dutch classic was usually served during the holiday season, but was so favored that it eventually became a year round treat. And what’s not to like? This spiced shortbread cookie is definitely addictive.

Upon first bite, Speculoos Cookies are hard, dry and powdery, reminiscent of our local uraro or arrowroot cookies. But perhaps it’s exactly this unflattering description that makes it so habit-forming. Lightly sweetened and heavily spiced, each bite gives off strong scents of cinnamon and nutmeg, giving it a holiday-like appeal. I like to take tiny nibbles of it, figuring that small bites are perfect for delivering just the right amount of flavor to your mouth. But half a box later, I still find myself wanting more. I could finish a whole box in one sitting, if only it weren’t so darn expensive locally.

Speculoos Cookies

I love it, but I think it’s too expensive for a skinflint like me.

In the case of Speculoos Cookies versus Speculoos Cookie Butter (Or Biscoff, which I like more), I like the source cookie better, even if I teasingly refer to it as high-end uraro. My next mission is to settle for a simple, doable Speculoos Cookie recipe and whip up a batch, hopefully for cheaper than 375 pesos a box.

Have you tried Speculoos Cookies? Did you like it?

This entry was posted in food spotlight. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to What’s the fuss with Speculoos Cookies?

1. Julls says:

Guh. I’ve been curious about that, but I’ve been trying to avoid buying! Now I have to try it thanks to you haha.

I really like it, but yeah, it’s pricey! It’s a bit dry, but it’s the kind of texture that grows on you. I like nibbling things kasi, kaya it’s perfect for me.

2. U8mypinkcookies says:

Haven’t tried the cookie but i love Biscoff esp. the crunchy one! I prefer it over TJ.

3. Stella says:

Delta Airlines also serves speculoos cookies as in-flight snacks. Apparently they’re real Biscoff cookies stamped with the Delta logo: http://www.salon.com/2010/11/09/best_airplane_snack_biscoff/

AND! Here’s a recipe for making the cookies from scratch! http://froggey.wordpress.com/2013/05/31/speculoos-the-delta-airline-cookie/

Yeah, I saw them sell those individual / for airline packs on their site. Seriously considering buying some. And thanks for the recipe link. I saved a couple, thinking I’d compare recipes. Will include this.

4. Haven’t tried the cookies, only the cookie butter, which is certainly delicious :) Must try the Biscoff one to compare! The TJ one is definitely pricey so I don’t indulge too often 😉

Insanely pricey! The only reason why I have some is because they were presents. If it were me footing the bill, I’d think twice. (Or I’d buy Biscoff which is surprisingly cheaper!)

• ghiedrew says:

trader joe’s speculoos cookie n cocoa swirl, P450 per jar, 3 jars left
      09063348516

5. Kaye Catral says:

Biscoff cookies are less than P100/pack in other countries. It’s crazy how expensive they are here.