Dinnertime is the high point of my day because it’s the time when the whole family’s gathered, catching up with each other’s day and enjoying a good meal. Good food is essential because it uplifts the spirit and puts everyone in a happy mood. But putting dinner together isn’t the easiest thing to do. You need to put in the time and effort, slaving over a hot stove in the sweltering summer heat. And it isn’t enough to cook day-in-day-out. You have to make sure your dishes don’t get too many repeats, otherwise, your family might get taste fatigue from eating the same dishes every few days or so.
What’s a cook to do? Seek out new recipes and reinvent old ones. Thankfully, it’s so easy to find new dishes to try out nowadays, with recipe sharing made easier by the internet. You just need to find reliable sources, logical sounding recipes, ideas for tweaking your old recipes, and good ingredients. One great way to liven things up is to add Nestlé All Purpose Cream to your dishes. Adding cream to savory dishes makes them richer and more buttery. It also adds a more luxurious texture that instantly levels your dishes up.
Think chicken and peas are ordinary? Dress them up in Nestlé All Purpose Cream and they’re suddenly ready for the fiesta spread. In fact, chicken and peas was a fiesta staple when I was growing up. My lola used to make it on special occasions only. It was only fairly recently that I realized that it was easy and inexpensive enough to serve even on regular days. It just tasted special, thanks to the fresh ingredients, and the richness of the cream.
Chicken and Peas in Cream
v. 22 May 2015
- 300 grams chicken thigh fillet, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 50 grams chicken liver, boiled and diced (optional)
- 200-gram pack frozen garden peas, defrosted
- 1 2-dozen pack quail eggs, hardboiled and peeled
- 1 small singkamas (jicama), peeled and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 250-gram pack Nestlé All Purpose Cream
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- In a wok or saucepan, heat oil and butter. Sweat onion and garlic over low heat.
- Increase heat to medium high. Saute chicken until color changes and no pink parts remain.
- Stir in carrots and singkamas. Add water.
- When carrots and singkamas are almost done, add green peas.
- Lower heat. Stir in Nestlé All Purpose Cream. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly toss in cooked quail eggs and liver. Serve with steamed rice.
Looking for more recipes? Like Nestlé All Purpose Cream on Facebook for more creamy recipe ideas.